Lethargic goose

Jewelj76

Chirping
Dec 29, 2017
We adopted a female goose last fall, and we already had 3 pekin ducks, 2 males & in female. The ducks never accepted her and eventually the males started picking on her...and she would never fight back, but just run away. A couple of weeks ago she suddenly wouldn't leave her nest, to go out or eat & drink. We make her leave her nest a couple times a day, to est & eat...she only eats her mealworms and water, no pellets. She will go out on her own daily, but just to the pond and then right back to her nest. We did notice mites/lice on her after about a week, but we treated her and her nest and that did the trick for those. Is she depressed, lonely, sick? And now I've noticed that her knob looks a little shriveled on the top edge...she's a White Chinese swan goose. We've never had an issue like this, and could use any help you could give...thank you!

Is she broody or does she just hang out in her nest because the others pick on her? How long has she been like this? Does she lay eggs? What part of the world are you in going into fall or spring. Not knowing if she is sick or depressed is hard to say is a vet an option? Have you given her and supplements. Does she graze at all? Geese do not do well on their own, they are flock animals and need the companionship of other geese. I’d hate to tell you to go out and find her a friend until you know for sure she isn’t sick, but if you find out she isn’t I hope you’ll seriously consider finding her a goose friend. Being sociable birds she needs the stimulation other geese would bring to her life like foraging swimming laying around together. All things geese like to do together.

Is she broody or does she just hang out in her nest because the others pick on her? How long has she been like this? Does she lay eggs? What part of the world are you in going into fall or spring. Not knowing if she is sick or depressed is hard to say is a vet an option? Have you given her and supplements. Does she graze at all? Geese do not do well on their own, they are flock animals and need the companionship of other geese. I’d hate to tell you to go out and find her a friend until you know for sure she isn’t sick, but if you find out she isn’t I hope you’ll seriously consider finding her a goose friend. Being sociable birds she needs the stimulation other geese would bring to her life like foraging swimming laying around together. All things geese like to do together.

Is she broody or does she just hang out in her nest because the others pick on her? WE BELIEVE SHE IS JUST HANGING OUT. How long has she been like this? A COUPLE OF WEEKS Does she lay eggs? USUALLY ONE EGG EVERY OTHER DAY, BUT NONE SINCE SHE STARTED THIS. What part of the world are you in going into fall or spring. WE ARE IN OHIO, GOING INTO FALL. Not knowing if she is sick or depressed is hard to say is a vet an option? NO BIRD/WATER FOWL VETS NEAR US. Have you given her and supplements. YES, WITH ELECTROLYTES Does she graze at all? YES, WHEN WE MAKE HER LEAVE THE BARN AT LEAST ONCE A DAY...SHE GOES TO POND AND CLEANS HERSELF, GRAZES A LITTLE, AND THEN HEADS STRAIGHT BACK TO GET ON HER NEST, UNLESS WE MAKE HER STAY OUT LONGER. SHE ALSO EATS THE MEALWORMS WE PUT IN HER WATER, BUT FEW PELLETS, IF ANY. HER STOOLS ARE FORMED, GREEN, & HAVE GRASS IN THEM
WE'RE THINKING SHE'S LONELY AND HAVE LINED UP A SABASTOPOL JUVENILE TO PICK UP IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS. WE WERE TOLD THEY CAN MATE EVEN IF DIFFERENT BREEDS. WE'RE SO HOPING THIS WILL HELP HER...WE'VE REALLY COME TO LOVE HER!

Of course they can mate. Please let us know when you bring him home!! Hopefully that’s all it is she is lonely. You could try destroying her nest and blocking so she can’t get back on it. You don’t want her to get so run down theses no hope.

Of course they can mate. Please let us know when you bring him home!! Hopefully that’s all it is she is lonely. You could try destroying her nest and blocking so she can’t get back on it. You don’t want her to get so run down theses no hope.
I will definitely keep you up on her progress, and when we get her a buddy! And, as far as destroying her nest, it's actually more of her "house" in 1/2 a plastic barrel, but we do close the barn door while she's out, so she can't get back to it anyway...but she'll lay in the grass right near the door and wait...it's pretty sad!

Depends on what you want, do you want a companion or goslings if goslings then a gander if a companion which can be either gander or goose but with out the drama of mating season then goose.

Back
Top Bottom