Lethargic hen, 4 months and counting!!

Jimmybeam01

Songster
7 Years
Dec 13, 2016
Boyd, Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I'm new to the site, it has helped me tremendously so far except for this one issue, so I figured it was about time to check it out! My name is Jim, here's my issue;

My red star Ruth is just not ok but she drinks and eats, doesn't stay with the herd much stays by herself, kinda stumbles very clumsy. She will fluff up and sit around with her eyes closed. but she's been this way for like 4 months. She's real tiny and isn't showing much sign of growing, I don't feel her crop at all, I know it's there but nothing in It ever.. seems she eats just enough to stay alive. She's a tough little girl but I wonder if it's worms ? She's skin and bones but eats still and all that. Just not lively at all.

It's 9 below outside and I brought her in with my baby chick. Separate. She has her eyes open but looks just beat.shes eating starter right now and drinking

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Jim, sorry your girl Ruth isn't doing well. Chickens will stay by themselves when they are ill, it's a way of protecting themselves from the other chickens that will harass the ones that aren't 100% healthy.

Try giving her some electrolytes and check in with the emergency forum to see if they can help you figure out what's going on.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Sorry you are having issues with your bird.

Sounds like a failure to thrive, to me. This is where a bird just doesn't have the vigor to grow or thrive properly - usually due to some issues with the formation of the organs or immune system - but is not bad off enough to die as a chick. They grow slowly, and tend to be quite runty, lethargic, and unsteady on their feet. Many do not survive to maturity and there's nothing that can be done for them.

Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

Misha! That was what I was thinking cause the other hens are bigger and I do notice that they do pick on her kinda. She's lower on the list. So maybe I'll just keep her in and really give her some spoiling time

G’Day from down under Jimmybeam01
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope that Ruth starts to thrive very soon. I am sure she will enjoy you spoiling her.

I also hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Everyone is very kind on here I love it. I've always wanted to move to the down under. Been debating it!
She has livened up for sure! And is eating a lot more so maybe she was just being bullied for too long

Back
Top Bottom