Lethargic hen cannot stand up or even sit!!!!

demonic

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
New York
I have a black Australorp hen (6-7 months) who has been sick for a while, but we thought was getting better. Her story is basically that she gets bullied a lot by the other chickens to the point she can’t eat. If you see my last thread, you can see how she was recently and what her poop looked like. Now, she still makes noise but can’t even walk or stand. Sometimes she dozes off. She won’t eat or drink. Before, we have her some safeguard dewormer on bread so she could eat it and she gladly did but now she won’t eat the bread.
this video shows her not being able to walk. This is what her poop looks like. It’s very bad smelling. Is this bugs? Mareks(I really hope not)? Please let me know

Attachments

• 34FAC53E-1510-4488-963B-4A9A280C44A3.jpeg
    34FAC53E-1510-4488-963B-4A9A280C44A3.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 55
Im not familiar with what this could be, but a more descriptive title would help get better attention. Something like "Lethargic hen now not eating or standing?"
You may need to look into how to tube feed to ensure she is getting fluids.

I have a black Australorp hen (6-7 months) who has been sick for a while, but we thought was getting better. Her story is basically that she gets bullied a lot by the other chickens to the point she can’t eat. If you see my last thread, you can see how she was recently and what her poop looked like. Now, she still makes noise but can’t even walk or stand. Sometimes she dozes off. She won’t eat or drink. Before, we have her some safeguard dewormer on bread so she could eat it and she gladly did but now she won’t eat the bread.
this video shows her not being able to walk. This is what her poop looks like. It’s very bad smelling. Is this bugs? Mareks(I really hope not)? Please let me know
Green poop is often a sign of malnutrition or starvation in birds. You mentioned the other birds aren't letting her eat. When you feel her body, does her keel bone jut out a lot?

I'd recommend getting food or at least electrolytes in her ASAP. I'll tag some people who may know the best way to tube or get food in her.

@azygous
@sourland

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220217-163234~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220217-163234~2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 15
Green poop is often a sign of malnutrition or starvation in birds. You mentioned the other birds aren't letting her eat. When you feel her body, does her keel bone jut out a lot?

I'd recommend getting food or at least electrolytes in her ASAP. I'll tag some people who may know the best way to tube or get food in her.

@azygous
@sourland
I don’t think her keel bone is juttted out a lot. She did drink some electrolytes by her self, and ate some egg and spinach and grit. The only thing concerning right now is her poop and why she can’t keep balance at all. If she sits, she leans to the side and eventually toppled over. She can’t even clean her feathers with falling and losing balance. This happened so suddenly and I don’t know how.

Im not familiar with what this could be, but a more descriptive title would help get better attention. Something like "Lethargic hen now not eating or standing?"
You may need to look into how to tube feed to ensure she is getting fluids.
She’s drinking pretty well, and eating a little. Do you know why she can’t maintain balance? 2 days ago she wasn’t like this and we put her back in the coop and now shes like this.

Imbalance can be from a number of things. The most simple and correctable cause is weakness from not eating and drinking enough. If this is the cause, giving a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar stirred in will elevate blood glucose and within an hour or two, the symptoms can disappear.

Imbalance can be from a number of things. The most simple and correctable cause is weakness from not eating and drinking enough. If this is the cause, giving a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar stirred in will elevate blood glucose and within an hour or two, the symptoms can disappear.
Thank you! I will try it!

Back
Top Bottom