Lethargic hen, featherless & bright red chest, refusing food & drink

heidil

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2018
Central Florida
Hi all,
I have a 1 yr-old Barred Rock hen that has been acting like a bit of a loner lately, free-ranging away from the rest of the flock, but she was eating and drinking so I didn't worry too much. Then when I got out of work last night I noticed she was bedded down at the base of an oak way out at the back of our property and she wouldn't eat or drink when I brought it to her.

She couldn't make it back to the coop on her own last night so I brought her into the house in a crate. I got a little bit of fluids & nutri-drench down her. She could not walk more than a few steps at a time and then she'd fall.

We have had 96+ temperatures for a week and I thought maybe a night in the air conditioning would perk her up. Nope.

This morning, she was lying in a pool of watery stool. I took her to the bathtub to clean her up and that's when I noticed her chest and stomach are completely barren - no feathers and her skin is BRIGHT red. I'll include a photo.

I cleaned her up real good and then sprayed her chest & belly with some Vetricyn. After a little more searching, I decided to also spray her with some mite spray in case that was the cause. I'm sort of grasping at straws here and would appreciate any advice.

Additional details: Her breathing was labored last night but it was hot... much better breathing this morning. Eyes are clear. I have 11 other hens and a roo - all appear healthy with normal behavior.

I think she may not be here for long if I don't figure out the cause to treat it appropriately.

Unfortunately, I cannot take her to a vet today due to time-critical work obligations but I am working from home so I'm here to tend to the hen.

All advice is welcome.

Thanks you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    474.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Honestly, it sounds like you've done everything! And is her breathing has improved then you're headed in the right direction. Is it possible she initially went broody and plucked herself of feathers?

Keep doing what you're doing and try to get some food and drink in her! :hugs

Honestly, it sounds like you've done everything! And is her breathing has improved then you're headed in the right direction. Is it possible she initially went broody and plucked herself of feathers?

Keep doing what you're doing and try to get some food and drink in her! :hugs
Thanks so much for your reply!

I don't think she went broody... just because she never spent an inordinate amount of time in a nesting box. And, she also has diarrhea and is lethargic. So, she is definitely "unwell." I just have no idea the cause. The poor girl. :(

Regrettably, she has passed away. :(

We tried to get some fluids in her... just a few drops at a time, but she inhaled some. She struggled with her breathing for a few minutes, had a seizure and died.

I think that was just more than she could handle in her extremely fragile state. :hit

R.I.P.

Heat stroke, then aspiration. So Sorry :(
I swear by a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week to the whole flock.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.

Heat stroke, then aspiration. So Sorry :(
I swear by a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week to the whole flock.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.

Damn, now I'm really worried about heat stroke in my birds this summer, I have a bunch of big fluffy Orps and the temps are already 100F+ here in some areas...and it's still May.

Regrettably, she has passed away. :(

We tried to get some fluids in her... just a few drops at a time, but she inhaled some. She struggled with her breathing for a few minutes, had a seizure and died.

I think that was just more than she could handle in her extremely fragile state. :hit

R.I.P.

I am so very sorry :(:hugs

Try to take comfort in all the love and care you gave her and that she passed knowing she was safe and loved!

Damn, now I'm really worried about heat stroke in my birds this summer, I have a bunch of big fluffy Orps and the temps are already 100F+ here in some areas...and it's still May.

Can you run a few fans out to your coop/run? If your chickens free range at all just make some lean to style shade spots using plywood, thick cardboard or tarps. I've also heard some chicks love wading pools with a little cool water. You can also buy misters for inside the run.

Deep all day shade is the best.

Regular doses of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins and.....

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
upload_2019-5-31_21-39-58.png

make space in your freezer!
upload_2019-5-31_21-40-20.png

Back
Top Bottom