Lethargic hen, no appetite. Not sure what’s wrong!

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I noticed yesterday my barred rock hen was puffed up and laying still in the morning while the other hens were doing normal chicken things. I thought maybe she was puffy since it was colder yesterday than it has been. Yesterday was also day 2 or 3 since I’ve gotten an egg from her. Her eggs are usually large and jumbo sized. Today she is in the same condition and still hasn’t laid an egg. I checked her vent for an egg but didn’t feel anything. I reached maybe 1-2” into her vent but didn’t want to hurt her by going further. Her crop is flat and squishy. I force fed her part of a tums and syringe fed her some electrolytes. My flock has a mild case of scaly mites that I treated by dipping the feet in gas a couple of weeks ago. I’m not sure there’s been an improvement so I dusted her with poultry dust for mites. Is there anything else for which I should check? I have seen no unusual poops or egg signs under the roost. Any advice is appreciated! She’s a favorite of ours.

Last edited:
If she walks, does it look normal?
This morning she stumbled, but I think it’s due to poor food intake. She had been walking normally. She had watery poops under her roost this morning. She’s definitely worsened :( however she did walk over to the water and drank some this morning.

I’m not sure if I should try to give her antibiotics, yogurt, calcium, all three, or none. I am starting to fear for the worst for my sweet girl.

How is her belly? Is it normal or enlarged and soft?
Her crop is flat and empty. Her rear end feels normal as far as I can tell. Ive been trying to syringe feed electrolyte water to her. I gave her a little piece of tums. She’s now isolated in the coop and I turned a heater on since it’s only in the 40s outside. I figured she’d be more relaxed in her coop than if I brought her inside.

Her crop is flat and empty. Her rear end feels normal as far as I can tell. Ive been trying to syringe feed electrolyte water to her. I gave her a little piece of tums. She’s now isolated in the coop and I turned a heater on since it’s only in the 40s outside. I figured she’d be more relaxed in her coop than if I brought her inside.
Let us know how things are progressing ☺️

I chose to euthanized her. Her conditioned worsened to the point she didn’t have the strength to walk. I didn’t want her to suffer, and I didn’t foresee her improving. My neighbor is skilled in cervical dislocation. He came and took care of her. She was a very special hen so I am really feeling the loss.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish you could have figure out the problem. It seems you did the best you could though and that should be some comfort in itself. I'm caring for two sick and injured hens right now and I'm not sure what I'll do if their conditions deteriorate. I'm glad you had a friend to help you. Take care.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish you could have figure out the problem. It seems you did the best you could though and that should be some comfort in itself. I'm caring for two sick and injured hens right now and I'm not sure what I'll do if their conditions deteriorate. I'm glad you had a friend to help you. Take care.
What’s wrong with your hens? I hope they improve.

This loss hit me a lot harder than others. She is one of my first laying hens, one of my friendliest and sweetest, and the first I’ve had to euthanize outside of roosters.

What’s wrong with your hens? I hope they improve.

This loss hit me a lot harder than others. She is one of my first laying hens, one of my friendliest and sweetest, and the first I’ve had to euthanize outside of roosters.
One hen tried to fly out if the coop to lay an egg and was brutally attacked by a dog. I thought she was a goner but I've been cleaning her wounds everyday for two weeks and was initially force feeding/drinking her but she's been slowly getting better. She's begun to eat and drink on her own and limp around. The other hen has ascites and was huge and standing in place all day long. We withdrew the liquid in her stomach yesterday and she seems much better and lighter today so I'm hopeful we've extended her life and comfort.
Our chickens are all older and I dread the day I have to make the decision to euthanize any of them. I don't think I know anybody that does it. How does one go about it?

Back
Top Bottom