Lethargic Hen Not Eating, Laying, and has Maggots in Feathers

Hello! Daisy Update! I am still soaking her twice daily, and spraying her wound with antibiotic spray after each soak. The scab seems to be hardening in with her skin. On the outside of the scab there is a red puffy ring surrounding it. I hope there are no more maggots inside her wound. I have heard that they can live in flesh, but hopefully it's just temporary swelling. I am currently holding an ice pack to it gently to reduce swelling.

Hello! Daisy Update! I am still soaking her twice daily, and spraying her wound with antibiotic spray after each soak. The scab seems to be hardening in with her skin. On the outside of the scab there is a red puffy ring surrounding it. I hope there are no more maggots inside her wound. I have heard that they can live in flesh, but hopefully it's just temporary swelling. I am currently holding an ice pack to it gently to reduce swelling.
I don't know about chickens, but for humans you don't apply ice directly to the flesh. You wrap the ice in a towel or a layer or two of fabric. Also (in humans) you don't keep the ice pack in place longer than 15 minutes, then take it off for at least 15 minutes before repeating. I have no idea if chickens can tolerate 15 minutes of ice on or not, but my guess would be they can't tolerate it any longer than that without a break. Want to stress I am just guessing, and if anyone knows anything more accurate than this, I hope they jump in and let us know.

I don't know about chickens, but for humans you don't apply ice directly to the flesh. You wrap the ice in a towel or a layer or two of fabric. Also (in humans) you don't keep the ice pack in place longer than 15 minutes, then take it off for at least 15 minutes before repeating. I have no idea if chickens can tolerate 15 minutes of ice on or not, but my guess would be they can't tolerate it any longer than that without a break. Want to stress I am just guessing, and if anyone knows anything more accurate than this, I hope they jump in and let us know.
You made a good point there. I had some ice in a ziploc Bag with some paper towels wrapped around it. I don't know for sure yet ethir, but ice placed directly on a chicken wound? I don't think that would be good. Normally I would leave it on no longer than 5-10 minutes at a time since she may become uncomfortable with the cold burning sensation the ice may have.

Daisy Update! She is doing well, her wound is continuing to heal. I am still soaking her once a day, it calms her! She really loves her soaks! Once I got back from town this morning, ( to get 2nd Covid vaccination ) My arm is sore! 😟She layed yet another egg! She is eating and drinking and laying great! Like she doesn't even have fly strike! I am still going to wait a bit longer before returning her to her flock since Hailey and Spice might start bullying her and pecking on her wound. She went to her flock for about 5 minutes this afternoon like a little visit. No luck with cam!😞 I've tried everything! Sorry! Here is what her wound looks like now. Round shape directly under vent. Sticking out about 3 centimeters, has a big black, ( that's dried blood ) patch right in the middle. Swelling has gone down a lot. She is very brave! I might release her to her flock later this week, depending on her wound. Since you never want to let an hurt or injured chicken into their flock before fully recovered,( that is a recipe for disaster ) Anyway she is recovering well, and I think she is going to make it!

Daisy Update! She is doing well, her wound is continuing to heal. I am still soaking her once a day, it calms her! She really loves her soaks! Once I got back from town this morning, ( to get 2nd Covid vaccination ) My arm is sore! 😟She layed yet another egg! She is eating and drinking and laying great! Like she doesn't even have fly strike! I am still going to wait a bit longer before returning her to her flock since Hailey and Spice might start bullying her and pecking on her wound. She went to her flock for about 5 minutes this afternoon like a little visit. No luck with cam!😞 I've tried everything! Sorry! Here is what her wound looks like now. Round shape directly under vent. Sticking out about 3 centimeters, has a big black, ( that's dried blood ) patch right in the middle. Swelling has gone down a lot. She is very brave! I might release her to her flock later this week, depending on her wound. Since you never want to let an hurt or injured chicken into their flock before fully recovered,( that is a recipe for disaster ) Anyway she is recovering well, and I think she is going to make it!
woohoo!

Hi DaisyBuff,
Flystrike seems to be a nasty thing for the hen. Please don't give up try your best to remove them all from under the skin and all your effort will not be wasted. You will be satisfied when your hen looks healthy again.🙏

Daisy Update! She is fully recovered! There is still a small place where her scab has healed into her skin. She has been going on flock visits daily and Hailey And Spice are being nice to her!😃 Good news she is going back to her flock tomorrow morning! Thank you everyone for helping us on our journey! As I have never dealt with fly strike before you helped me so much, and if any other chicken gets fly strike again, ( which I hope will never happen ) I will know what to do. I really wish I could post a recent photo now! Still no luck with camera....😫 She has been very brave and once again, thank you again everyone! @Wyorp Rock @cherrynberry @berryncherry @BigBlueHen53 @Doo
@JNC
@nuthatched
@Eggcessive
@katelwil

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom