Lethargic Hen Not Eating, Laying, and has Maggots in Feathers

Pics

DaisyBuff

Crowing
Oct 15, 2020
Georgia
Hi everyone. I have a problem. My favorite and first chicken, ( only one left from 1st Generation ) Daisy is lethargic! I will go into the details, She is not walking around hardly at all. She is not eating. She has not layed since 3-4 days ago. At first I thought she was just on a normal egg- break. But she has gone too long without laying! She is a 2 year old Buff Orpington hen.
She lives with 2 flock mates Spice and Hailey Both 1 year old Rhode Island Reds. They eat Dumor 16% Layer crumble. And they have fresh food and water available to them at all times. But that is not all, she has maggots in her feathers. All of my chickens are free range. Every morning I open the coop door to see my chickens and in out in the yard. Daisy is in critical condition and she is not even standing! Just laying over with her head drooping! Please help my baby! Without her I am not the same! That's why my profile name is DaisyBuff! I hope you can help me! I know maggots can get into all types of toxins she may of ate some and became sick? Or egg bound? Some gastrointestinal infection? I found her laying in an awkward position earlier and I am worried, do I need to separate her? Pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_193526.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193526.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210730_194501.jpg
    IMG_20210730_194501.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210730_193219.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193219.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210730_193835.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193835.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210730_193355.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193355.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 29
Thanks so much for the info! After reading that passage on fly strike, I learned it can be deadly😫 I am going to treat her asap before this gets worse. Yep, it looks like she has flystrike. My camera has failed to work ( as usual) but even though I don't have the ability to post pictures now , I will keep you all updated!

Is she doing any better?
As a matter of fact the wound is still scabbed over, and I havent noticed any significant worsening. The scab is black like @cherrynberry 's picture. I guess it's just dried up blood. Daisy has stopped pecking at her wound since I started spraying her wound with Antibiotic spray after each soak. She even layed another egg today! She is improving. Have not found any new maggots to!😀

Daisy Update! She is doing well, her wound is continuing to heal. I am still soaking her once a day, it calms her! She really loves her soaks! Once I got back from town this morning, ( to get 2nd Covid vaccination ) My arm is sore! 😟She layed yet another egg! She is eating and drinking and laying great! Like she doesn't even have fly strike! I am still going to wait a bit longer before returning her to her flock since Hailey and Spice might start bullying her and pecking on her wound. She went to her flock for about 5 minutes this afternoon like a little visit. No luck with cam!😞 I've tried everything! Sorry! Here is what her wound looks like now. Round shape directly under vent. Sticking out about 3 centimeters, has a big black, ( that's dried blood ) patch right in the middle. Swelling has gone down a lot. She is very brave! I might release her to her flock later this week, depending on her wound. Since you never want to let an hurt or injured chicken into their flock before fully recovered,( that is a recipe for disaster ) Anyway she is recovering well, and I think she is going to make it!

Daisy Update! She is fully recovered! There is still a small place where her scab has healed into her skin. She has been going on flock visits daily and Hailey And Spice are being nice to her!😃 Good news she is going back to her flock tomorrow morning! Thank you everyone for helping us on our journey! As I have never dealt with fly strike before you helped me so much, and if any other chicken gets fly strike again, ( which I hope will never happen ) I will know what to do. I really wish I could post a recent photo now! Still no luck with camera....😫 She has been very brave and once again, thank you again everyone! @Wyorp Rock @cherrynberry @berryncherry @BigBlueHen53 @Doo
@JNC
@nuthatched
@Eggcessive
@katelwil

Last edited:
Hello! Daisy Update! I am still soaking her twice daily, and spraying her wound with antibiotic spray after each soak. The scab seems to be hardening in with her skin. On the outside of the scab there is a red puffy ring surrounding it. I hope there are no more maggots inside her wound. I have heard that they can live in flesh, but hopefully it's just temporary swelling. I am currently holding an ice pack to it gently to reduce swelling.

Daisy Update! She is fully recovered! There is still a small place where her scab has healed into her skin. She has been going on flock visits daily and Hailey And Spice are being nice to her!😃 Good news she is going back to her flock tomorrow morning! Thank you everyone for helping us on our journey! As I have never dealt with fly strike before you helped me so much, and if any other chicken gets fly strike again, ( which I hope will never happen ) I will know what to do. I really wish I could post a recent photo now! Still no luck with camera....😫 She has been very brave and once again, thank you again everyone! @Wyorp Rock @cherrynberry @berryncherry @BigBlueHen53 @Doo
@JNC
@nuthatched
@Eggcessive
@katelwil
Yay!!! So excited to hear that she fully recovered. Must be such a relief of your chest knowing she’s all well now. My ducks went through a couple attacks and very time it made my heart sink for days even when they didn’t get hurt. Good to know she’s all well now! :celebrate

@cherrynberry has a recent post about this. It seems they have made great progress with their hen. I would give advice but I don't remember what all was said.
Thanks so much for the info! After reading that passage on fly strike, I learned it can be deadly😫 I am going to treat her asap before this gets worse. Yep, it looks like she has flystrike. My camera has failed to work ( as usual) but even though I don't have the ability to post pictures now , I will keep you all updated!
Wash her in water with some dish soap. Drown the maggots and pick out any still on her. She doesnt sound too good... 😕

@Wyorp Rock

Back
Top Bottom