Lethargic Hen - Not Eating or Drinking

cpeppery

Hatching
Nov 2, 2023
First time chicken raiser - Our single hen stopped laying eggs a few months ago after several weeks of very weak shells. Otherwise has been normal.

She seems to have started molting a few weeks ago. Lots of feathers in her run and I see the some feather pins filled with blood.

Yesterday she started acting lethargic. Won't really eat or drink. Didn't finish any meal worms. Continued today.

Her poop is solid, but am emerald green color. Help!

Can you please post a picture of the poop? Sometimes they get green poop if they aren’t eating enough, when they aren’t eating enough they get sick and lethargic usually. Does the hen have access to shells?
I would also isolate the hen so it can be alone and rest a bit. How long has she been in the flock and where is she in the pecking order?

Can you please post a picture of the poop? Sometimes they get green poop if they aren’t eating enough, when they aren’t eating enough they get sick and lethargic usually. Does the hen have access to shells?
I would also isolate the hen so it can be alone and rest a bit. How long has she been in the flock and where is she in the pecking order?
Wife let me know the poop is a little more diarrhea now and has clearness to it.

She is drinking better, but not eating.

By shells do you mean oyster or egg?

We brought her inside and she is quite puffed up. She is our only chicken, so she is the pecking order.
106850.jpeg

Wife let me know the poop is a little more diarrhea now and has clearness to it.

She is drinking better, but not eating.

By shells do you mean oyster or egg?

We brought her inside and she is quite puffed up. She is our only chicken, so she is the pecking order.
View attachment 3674844
Sorry, did you say she is the only hen you have? Do you have a rooster? If not you should find some hens for your chicken.
I once had a hen get sick from being alone and lonely, her friend got eaten and within 2 days of her loosing her friend the hen stopped eating,and getting lonely and depressed.
Chicken are flock animal,they thrive when they are in a flock.
If you don’t have a rooster I would get your hen some little friends so she isn’t alone anymore
If you coop isn’t big, batham chickens can also work, they are small and don’t take up much space but great for your hen so she can socialize😊
See if you can get her to eat, you can try scrambled eggs, egg yolk or her pellets wet to get her eating but most importantly is that she is drinking so that’s good😊
By shells I meant oyster shells so she can get extra calcium if she needs it😊

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom