Lethargic Hen, Overdrinking and Weird Smell

But I checked her abdomen when I first brought her in and it wasn't swollen, so I assumed she wasn't egg bound.

You don't generally see or feel significant external swelling with egg binding. Have you done an internal exam to check for a stuck egg?
How did you check for swelling and did you compare to a healthy hen. I find the best way to assess any abdominal swelling it to cup my hand between their legs from behind whilst they are roosting at night and check healthy birds on either side of the sick looking bird to get a direct comparison. Feathers can hide a lot but it should be pretty obvious to feel if they have some significant swelling or bloat.

If her crop is so full of fluid that she is refluxing then that suggests a major blockage or impaction somewhere in her digestive tract rather than just sour crop. If there is no obvious lower abdominal swelling or egg binding then the crop or gizzard are the likely locations and since there is little or nothing that can be done about a gizzard impaction your attentions can only be targeted at the crop.
If the crop is full of fluid which is refluxing then it may be necessary to empty it a bit before you start treatment because otherwise there is a risk that she will aspirate anyway. I vomit a chicken by holding it in front of my chest with the left side of the chicken nearest to me and then lean forward so that we are both upside down together the right side of the chicken's mouth is lowest. This way the vomit is more likely to drain out of the chicken's mouth than into the trachea and I can monitor the bird closely whilst I hold her against me and I can easily stand up to right both of us for a breather. Once she has regurgitated some of the fluid and had some room for manoeuvre in her crop, you can give her a little monitstat (don't dilute it) and massage. I try to massage 3-4 times a day for 10-15 mins each time.... this is in an upright position, not in the inverted vomiting position. The bird should be penned separate with no access to any fibrous material like grass/straw/hay etc and only given homogenous liquid feed that would pass through a kitchen sieve.... chick crumb mixed into plenty of water and left to become mushy is as good as anything. Many people have success using solid coconut oil to help break up and lubricate an impaction and I am told that birds will readily eat chunks of it in solid refrigerated form. If after a day or two of massage with coconut oil, the crop has still not emptied, then a stool softener like Dulcolax (without stimulant) can be used.
Please try to rule out a lower abdominal impaction which would normally be indicated by some abdominal swelling before embarking on the above treatment.

Good luck.

This morning my hen was doing a lot better. She is still slow, but not nearly as lethargic as yesterday. She is now opening her eyes and moving around the crate. Her crop also feels smaller and her poop is less watery. She is also drinking on her own and seems hungry. I syringe fed her some yogurt, but she won't eat it on her own. Is there anything else that is safe to feed her until she recovers?

I don't have any chick crumb right now, I just gave her some hard-boiled egg. She only ate a bit though, so I'll probably have to syringe feed her yogurt again. Yes, I massaged her a few times yesterday and this morning, but I did not vomit her. When she vomited on her own yesterday morning, a few chunks of grass came out including what looked like a small black seed. We checked it but it was not a seed (had to use a hammer to even break it), and I could not find anything similar around the coop. I'm thinking that may have caused this.

Chickens eat grit to break down their food because they don't have teeth to chew it up. The grit they eat works it's way down into the gizzard which is another food pouch past the crop which has a thick tough lining and very thick strong muscular walls that massage the food and grit together to grind it down.
I would guess that the black object you found was a piece or grit or small pebble. How big was it? Do you provide granite grit for your hens in a separate container?

Yesterday evening she returned to being lethargic again and won't eat. I tried making a wet mash of some of her feed, but she isn't showing interest in anything. Should I increase the dosage of Monistat (currently giving 1ml twice a day) or just wait? I am also massaging her crop 4 times a day for about 10 minutes each time.

The black object was maybe half the size of a fingernail, it was pretty small. It might've been a pebble. I don't give the hens grit, but I have an old pack I could give them.

I would not give her grit at the moment if she has an impacted crop as it will just add to the impaction and massaging her crop with grit in it may cause it to become inflamed. But once this episode is resolved it is important that chickens have access to grit, especially if they are eating vegetation like grass.
Is there any indication of it reducing in size? What size is it? Does her breath smell bad? How many days has she had the moniostat already? Is she still regurgitating fluids herself or is she managing to keep fluids passing through her system? Have you given her any Nutri drench as that may help perk her up. You can give that neat directly into her mouth as a drench for an instant boost and put some in her water too.

Yes, the crop reduced in size. It's a bit smaller than a golf ball now. Her breath still smells bad, but she is not regurgitating fluids. She is still pooping frequently, though. She has been on the Monistat for 2 days. I gave her two more doses today. I also gave her Nutri-drench as soon as I got home. I took her outside once it cooled down and she spent about a half-hour exploring around the yard and pecking the ground. She seemed much more alert than this morning, but I'm worried she could go back to how she was tomorrow x_x

When you say her crop is just less than the size of a golf ball, is that first thing in the morning before she has access to food or during the day?
Does it feel hard or soft. If soft, does it feel mushy or more like putty that is pliable and holds it's shape when you press your fingers into it? If hard, does it feel like one solid mass or like a bag of gravel or a bean bag?
Did you check her for any abdominal swelling.... between the legs and below the vent and compare to other hens? Did you do an internal exam? A photo of her standing and another of her back end might be helpful. What does her comb look like?
How is her body condition? Is her breast bone really sharp under the skin or reasonably well covered?
I am pleased that she seems a bit perkier today. I do think getting out a bit for some fresh air and exercise and sunshine is important but you need to watch her closely when she is pecking the ground as you don't want her eating grass or anything fibrous that will undo the progress you have made so far.
I'm having a bit of a rethink on grit, if the impaction is the size you say and is not hard. I would offer her some grit and see if she wants it. If your birds have not had access to grit for some time, that may be the problem and I don't want to suggest using the stool softener which might take a mass of grass down into the gizzard and create a problem there if there is no grit in it to break it down.

So difficult to give suitable advice when I cannot see and feel the bird myself. Are you able to take her to a vet?

Yes, her crop was still full in the morning. She had access to food but she wouldn't eat, she was only drinking. Her crop felt like it was full of fluid, not hard. Her breast bone feels kind of sharp under the skin, but she does not feel significantly lighter. She doesn't have any abdominal swelling, but I am going out in a minute to compare it to another hen. Her comb is red, it's hard to tell if it's drooped since her comb is pretty small.

Edit: I compared her abdomen to two other hens and there is no difference between them.

This morning she is doing much better and was running around the yard chasing bugs. She is also starting to "talk" again. Her crop is completely empty, but I can still hear a burping kind of sound coming from it. She is back in the crate now resting and ate a bit of cooked rice as well as her normal feed.

There is an avian vet about 40 minutes from our place, but I would like to avoid taking her to the vet since we have already dropped hundreds on our dogs the past month after they developed eye and ear infections. She is getting back to normal, though, so hopefully it won't be necessary.

Photos:
Standing: https://imgur.com/yC3LJJ9, https://imgur.com/JxpmX7U
Comb: https://imgur.com/zhnrssd
Back side (I couldn't get one of her vent, but her vent is normal without any redness/swelling): https://imgur.com/WBDPxoD

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom