Lethargic hen, watery poop

PrairieChickens

Songster
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
Kansas
I have quite the puzzle for you all today. My oldest hen Goldie (About 2 1/2 years old) recently started acting lethargic and passing white, watery droppings. Aside from that, she's showing no other symptoms I can see. Her comb and wattle are a good color. She's eating and drinking and gets around ok, her tail doesn't droop, but when she stands still, she clearly doesn't feel herself. She pulls her head in very close to her body and moves very little. She has no fever, and though I checked for her being eggbound, I didn't feel anything. When I offer her treats of grasshoppers or veggies, she snaps them up without hesitation, and she will forage, but her step is not as spry as it ought to be.

This has been going on for several days now. Were it not for the watery droppings, I wouldn't be worried at all, but between the poop and the lethargy, I'm concerned for my old girl. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have quite the puzzle for you all today. My oldest hen Goldie (About 2 1/2 years old) recently started acting lethargic and passing white, watery droppings. Aside from that, she's showing no other symptoms I can see. Her comb and wattle are a good color. She's eating and drinking and gets around ok, her tail doesn't droop, but when she stands still, she clearly doesn't feel herself. She pulls her head in very close to her body and moves very little. She has no fever, and though I checked for her being eggbound, I didn't feel anything. When I offer her treats of grasshoppers or veggies, she snaps them up without hesitation, and she will forage, but her step is not as spry as it ought to be.

This has been going on for several days now. Were it not for the watery droppings, I wouldn't be worried at all, but between the poop and the lethargy, I'm concerned for my old girl. Any ideas?
Also check her for vent gleet. Does she have whitish discharge from vent.

No sign of mites or worms, no discharge. This all started after a particularly hot day about a week ago, but she's been through worse and it's cooled off considerably since then.

This may be a stupid question, but could a molt wear out a hen like this if it hits her particularly hard? She's quite scruffy looking right now, with a lot of battered old feathers and new ones coming in. I've not had any problems when my hens were molting in the past but it's the only thing I can think of at his point.

By your description, it sounds like worms. It is not necessary to see worms in feces in order for them to have worms. Pulling her head in close to her body could possibly be caused by capillary worms. Take a fecal sample to a vet and have them look at it under a microscope, shouldnt cost much.

By your description, it sounds like worms. It is not necessary to see worms in feces in order for them to have worms. Pulling her head in close to her body could possibly be caused by capillary worms. Take a fecal sample to a vet and have them look at it under a microscope, shouldnt cost much.
x2 on the it sounds like worms!

see the bottom of this webpage for droppings:
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/poultryprofi...natomy_and_Physiology/Chapter3_digestive.html

Just as a side note, if you are testing the poo for worms they can include a test for cocci as well.

Last edited:
My hen is doing this too!although Her crop is squishy and she is flexing her vent a lot... please help!

I there, I am concerned about one of my roosters. He was fine on Monday when I got home from work. I let the girls and the guys out of the coop and run to free range in my yard for a few hours before sundown. When I came home on Tuesday to let them all out, I was following Honey, a cross between a Mille Fluer and Serama Rooster, (sweet boy) and noticed him walking like he was uncoordinated and stiff. His tail was pointed down and he held his wings out. I did notice after following him that his poop was watery too. They have plenty of water and food. I live in south Florida and it is quite warm. The coop is in a shady area of the yard. Please help I am at a lose. This rooster was supposed to be a pullet when I got it. A very sweet boy too.

Back
Top Bottom