Lethargic Hen?

JoshuaRodas80

Hatching
Nov 3, 2020
I have a Rhode Island Red hen and she has been acting lethargic lately. She moves slowly around and seems to sleep during the day. She never does this so it has me worried. I heard mixing apple cider vinegar is helpful. Is there anything else I can do? Would simple antibiotics be a good idea?

Attachments

• 5AD23A23-7A2B-4C60-8E5C-93AB6F76AAB5.jpeg
    5AD23A23-7A2B-4C60-8E5C-93AB6F76AAB5.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 1
How old is your hen? Does she normally lay eggs? How has she been eating and drinking? What do her droppings look like? Can you check her lower belly down between her legs for any enlargement or swelling. I would feel of her crop in the early morning, to see if is empty, full, hard or puffy.

How old is your hen? Does she normally lay eggs? How has she been eating and drinking? What do her droppings look like? Can you check her lower belly down between her legs for any enlargement or swelling. I would feel of her crop in the early morning, to see if is empty, full, hard or puffy.
She’s 3 and hasn’t been laying recently. She eats and drinks but not a whole lot recently. Her droppings are somewhat watery as her feathers around the vent are a bit dirty. When I felt her crop it seems to been hard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom