Lethargic, messy rear

It doesn't hurt to locate a source for a broad spectrum antibiotic and keep it on hand to treat a sick chicken rater than wait until you have a sick chicken. The wait for it to arrive in today's obstructed mail delivery system could mean a chicken dies before you can get it and start treatment. I order amoxycillin here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/
Is she still laying eggs? Her tail is down, so that makes me think that she has something going on with a reproductive disorder or a crop problem. I would continue to check her crop during the day to see if she is eating, and again in early morning when it should be empty. Poultry NutriDrench 2-3 ml orally may give her a boost. How do her eyes look to you? Are the pupils round and the color normal? In the one pic, the pupil is hard to distinguish as normal.

Thank you so much for this advice. I called around to places that would carry this and they said that antibiotics were pulled off the market thanks is to people taking it for covid. I will order some right away to have on hand. Do you add it to the water or administer directly and at what dosage? I have included a couple more photos of her just now. I have found eggs in the corner of the coop she always uses, but I haven’t actually caught her in the act to know for sure it’s her.

Attachments

• 7DCFF99B-1D77-4227-B48C-9997C98D1439.jpeg
    7DCFF99B-1D77-4227-B48C-9997C98D1439.jpeg
    900.3 KB · Views: 1
  • ECEC0611-1977-41E8-8F80-CDF0106C6C87.jpeg
    ECEC0611-1977-41E8-8F80-CDF0106C6C87.jpeg
    823.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 200EA606-A806-4BED-B5AF-1AA3DD636396.jpeg
    200EA606-A806-4BED-B5AF-1AA3DD636396.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 1
Don't ever dilute an antibiotic in water unless it is specifically formulated to be administered that way.

Amoxicillin is 250mg per day directly into the beak for ten days. I just pop the capsule right into the beak. Chickens will NOT choke on a pill.

Don't ever dilute an antibiotic in water unless it is specifically formulated to be administered that way.

Amoxicillin is 250mg per day directly into the beak for ten days. I just pop the capsule right into the beak. Chickens will NOT choke on a pill.
Thank you!!

So I took a stool sample to the vet and she (and I’m sure others) have a large amount of coccidia. She wants me to treat with corid and make sure the coop remains clean but how do I go about cleaning the yard they use? It’s a large (about 360ft perimeter) limited free range space. Won’t they just continue to get reinfected? I find it so surprising they have this as no one has blood in the stool and I keep everything as clean as possible. I’m feeling quite defeated.

This is easily treated. Be sure you do the full five days, then one week off, then five more days to get all of the coccidia. Clean all the accumulated poop that you can as that is how coccidia spreads.

Once your chickens are fully treated, they will have a resistance to that particular strain and won't be as apt to be reinfected, but warm wet conditions can cause another coccidia bloom so be on the alert to that possibility.

Chickens all have a small amount of coccidia living inside their intestines. The small numbers do not create problems. It's when the numbers overwhelm a chicken that coccidiosis occurs. There isn't a very high chance of this recurring after the full Corid treatment.

Back
Top Bottom