Lethargic / Pale Welsummer

Vintage_is_eco

Chirping
Jan 10, 2020
Can you help my Welsummer, Mavis? I can’t figure out what is wrong with her and I’m very worried.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) welsummer. Less than a year and a half old.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She’s lethargic. Low energy. Pale. Not eating or drinking. My husband found a cracked egg in the coop but he wasn’t sure if it was hers. She hasn’t been laying for weeks. She’s definitely molting but this behavior goes beyond molting behavior. This morning she seemed to have difficulty seeing and was squinting frequently.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A day or two.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No. But we lost another hen around the end of august who was behaving this same way.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She hasn’t been interested in food today - not even her favorite treats. She was standing near the waterer once today but not drinking.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. see photo. Green. Slightly runny. No blood.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Epsom salt bath for 20 minutes. Probed cloaca to see if she is egg bound but didn’t discover/feel anything. Massaged abdomen toward cloaca lightly while in the bath to help if egg is high in her abdomen.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Whatever will help her live. I can’t lose another girl this year. 💔
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
coop bedding is sand. Sand in indoor run. Dirt in outdoor run.

Attachments

• FE8BC4F1-099F-481C-B0B8-67DD5AEB2DBE.jpeg
    FE8BC4F1-099F-481C-B0B8-67DD5AEB2DBE.jpeg
    876.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 61D146DC-8635-4772-8FD4-7F7848311449.jpeg
    61D146DC-8635-4772-8FD4-7F7848311449.jpeg
    871.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 93BC550F-8819-42A0-8BA0-ABC93FE0C0FF.jpeg
    93BC550F-8819-42A0-8BA0-ABC93FE0C0FF.jpeg
    857 KB · Views: 7
  • 3413DAD2-1487-4458-836D-0CEE9AAD3945.jpeg
    3413DAD2-1487-4458-836D-0CEE9AAD3945.jpeg
    805.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 31C0EE4E-2B34-4DF7-94DF-9568DC7AFBF4.jpeg
    31C0EE4E-2B34-4DF7-94DF-9568DC7AFBF4.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 7
Can you try to get her drinking water, and mix some watery chicken feed and some bits of scrambled egg? Electrolytes, SaveAChick or Gatorade would be good. She could be dehydrated, suffering from coccidiosis, or having a reproductive disorder, because of her lower tail. Get her drinking first then eating, and hold a small cup up to her beak. Consider treating for possible coccidiosis. Check inside her vent for a stuck egg. Sorry you did that. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Feel others’ crops to compare.

Can you try to get her drinking water, and mix some watery chicken feed and some bits of scrambled egg? Electrolytes, SaveAChick or Gatorade would be good. She could be dehydrated, suffering from coccidiosis, or having a reproductive disorder, because of her lower tail. Get her drinking first then eating, and hold a small cup up to her beak. Consider treating for possible coccidiosis. Check inside her vent for a stuck egg. Sorry you did that. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Feel others’ crops to compare.
I’ve order medication for coccidiosis but it won’t be here until Monday. 😔 (i had to order it bc I don’t have a tractor store nearby and I don’t own a car.)

My husband is going to try electrolytes and I’ll try giving her a scrambled egg, maybe some oatmeal too?

My husband just tried giving her some bread and she ran away so she’s still fast when she needs to be. He said she has a very slight limp though.

Did you resolve Mavis’s issue? I hope she‘s better ❤️
Did you resolve Mavis’s issue? I hope she‘s better ❤️
No improvement yet but she’s still alive! We’ve completed her treatment for coccidiosis and have added in antibiotics and rooster booster. Tomorrow I will deworm her. Her energy is very low and she is now sleeping in the nesting box because it’s probably warmer and not as much work to get into since it’s lower than the coop. We’re keeping a very close eye on her and hoping for the best As we all know here, it’s so stressful when our girls are sick. They can’t tell us what’s wrong and often we just try what we think it might be but can’t always be certain. This is the first year she’s having a pretty serious molt too so that may be making this all worse.

Maevis passed away last night. We are heartbroken and sending her for necropsy today. I will report back here when I receive results. 💔

Back
Top Bottom