Lethargic Pilgrim Gosling

daydreamer92

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 17, 2011
I've surfed, but haven't been able to track a lot of info down so am making a fresh post.

I have three two week old Pilgrim goslings, 2 girls and a boy. Since the weather has warmed up (and because they get bored/chew in each other and the brooder space for them indoors is progressively smaller each day as they are growing fast) we've let the ducklings and goslings go hang out in the chicken tractor in the yard. They seem to really enjoy it, nibbling grass, hanging out, etc. Water and Flock Raiser are also provided. At night we bring them in. By the morning, the brooders are nasty :p We stopped supplemental heat almost right off; nobody seemed comfortable under the lamps we had and they seem pretty happy and warm without it. Everything has been going well. Happy ducklings, happy goslings.

Today I lifted one of the girl geese out of the brooder to take her outside. She did some funky stuff with her neck but when I set her down, she stopped. She is, however, lethargic. Definitely not into nibbling, not doing the "whee, I'm an airplane!" run of her two siblings as they followed me across the yard. Kinda picked at grass, drank a bit and laid down. No more weirdness with her neck, she's walking slow, but not wobbly.

I took her inside with me and she hasn't peeped up a storm for her buddies, which is unusual for them. Gave her a few cc's of water mixed with electrolytes and an antibiotic that I got from the feed store, put her on a puppy pee pad and she's sitting in the kitty crate next to me. She peeped a little, and sounded a bit congested (or muffled, compared to normal yelling) and it does look like some clear discharge has oozed from her nostrils.. Not a lot, like a droplet. She's talking quietly to me, but still isn't yelling for her siblings.

She has pooped. It looks normal, no blood or anything, stinky, but I am not sure there is such a thing as non-stinky waterfowl poo.

Yesterday she was fine. We don't spray the yard and I'm not aware of any icky stuff she might have eaten. Food in the bag is not moldy. Yard is pretty much grass and dandelions (the latter seem to be a favorite). We are not supplementing with niacin; my understanding is that flock raiser has it (am I wrong)?

I've felt her all over and don't feel anything odd. I even flipped her onto her back to check her underside and vent. Had a hard time finding it in the fluff but don't see crusting, caking or blood. She paddles when held, but you can tell she isn't up to 100% as her protests tail off pretty quick.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

ETA: she is making a slight "honky" noise (not a goose honk but as if something is in her respiratory tract, like a cold -- can geese get colds?)

Last edited:
Hi

I would take her to a Vet to check her out for Respiratory infection and if so you will be able to get the correct antibitoic. In the meantime I would switch the heat lamp back on. She needs warmth and rest. Finally there just maybe a slight Vitamin deficiency and would recommend trying the gosling with some Brewers Yeast dissolved in water.

I do hope she makes a good recovery for you
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Thanks, Pete. I'll call around and see if any local vet treats birds.

She still sounds a bit congested as she talks, like a person with a stuffy nose. Discharge has remained clear and a droplet or so at a time. And her head/neck twisting has continued. She dips forward, to the right and (with her head upside down) comes back up and then to the left -- like she's trying to loop her neck in an uncomfortable and physically impossible knot. Sometimes it seems to go around and around (laterally and "up and down") -- it's a bit disconcerting how twisted it can be. She gets off balance when this happens (big surprise) and topples over. It's happened several times in the past couple of hours. She does straighten it out and sits normally after, it's not 'stuck' like that.

She's drinking and has been talking to me pretty much constantly. Eyes are clear.

I gave her a warm bath; she didn't want to dunk and play so I made sure she was clean from any poop and bundled her up to dry. Now she's dry and back in the carrier on my desk, with fresh water and a thick towel as bedding.

I'm a little worried about her, more because of the neck twisting than a touch of the sniffles. Of course I'm reading up on all the awful stuff it can be (Newcastle disease among others) and fretting. I'm rather fond of these geese.

Last edited:
Day 2 report: she's not eating that I noticed. I'm pondering what to mix up to entice her to eat (or make her eat, if it comes to that). She's still alert and talkative, still congested, still has neck/head twisting. Talked to a local vet, but it's an office visit cost we frankly don't have, so I'm trying to treat with the powdered antibiotics from the feed store along with some Polyvisol (no iron).

Anyone have thoughts on what to feed a gosling that's off it's food? I know if she doesn't eat, she'll slide down hill eventually. She's not interested in greens or her usual pelleted food.

She's eating on her own, grass at least. I did end up syringing some mash down her throat, which is a messy job but today she seemed to be wanting to graze on her own. I put her in a little coop outside (it was pleasant) and let her snack all day on grass. Didn't see any twisting head incidents all day yesterday or most of today thought tonight she had a couple contortions. Let her have a little bath and now she's in her crate again on the desk, talking, preening post-bath, snoozing.

Her poops are very dark green and one came out very liquid (like soup) -- is that due to having not had solid food for a day or two? Stinky too.

Awww Daydreamer...........I hope she is going to be ok. The liquid poop may be from the antibiotics. the smell too. Its green cause she is just eating grass. Just a thought....but maybe her lil system cant take the food she was taking in, or allergic to it...??ya know?...
Im just trying to throw out some thoughts of what could be wrong. Pendleton really swings his neck, and flips his head from side to side too and I noticed that when he an coco are on the couch with me, after awhile he/she starts with the neck thing and I put them in the brooder for some water and food time (all inbetween trips to the grass). I think he's thirsty. and then he goes strait for the water. I thought it was cool he was telling me he was thirsty and ready for some more food, and that, I was able to understand/translate what he needed.
love.gif

Anyway......I hope she gets better and please keep us posted on her condition. BTW what her name? can't remember if you said.
Thanks god bless that lil girl and "worried momma too."
T.

It's not just swinging her neck. It's clearly something convulsive -- she arches her head down, then turns her head straight back up and twists it as if she's trying to tie her neck in a knot. She'll flip over at the worst moment of it trying to "unscrew" herself and distress peep. Saw her doing it again today. I'll keep up with the vitamins three times a day and see if that helps.

Her appetite is back at least, she nom'd a whole bowl of goose kibble (Flock Raiser). Weather was very nice today and she's sat in her own isolation coop to enjoy the outdoors.

I am wondering when it's "OK" to put her back with the others. I haven't noticed any nasal discharge in the last couple of days.

Oh and I call her Petunia. There's Peter, Bonny and Petunia Goose. (Easter names! Peter rabbit, Easter Bonnet and Petunia for the flowers
smile.png

Quote:
I am glad to hear pituna is doing better today. The head jerkn is really bizarre. sounds misrable. I hope she outgrows that. and will be alright.
I have 2 pekin's F/M and the last few days me and DH take them out and when my F. come up towards the gos/duklg. she shivers/shakes her neck and body language says I am the leader of my flock here and I will make the decison for you to enter my flock. Thats what I guessed she was insinuating.(cant spell)
wink.png
If u know somethin about this behavior, would u let me know? Thanks.
Sending blessings your way,
Tina

PS: Got lots of pics today............does any one want me to post them?

Last edited:
Did they happen to run out of water overnight? Goslings and ducklings are good for getting 'water toxicity' if they are without water for too long. Basically, they drink so much so fast that it puts their bodies into shock.

Back
Top Bottom