Lethargic, puffed up chicken

Meeecho

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2021
Vancouver, WA
I've got 6 chickens that are now about 6 weeks old. I just recently brought them outside from their brooder downstairs. The coop has "flock fresh" bedding which is chopped straw and alfalfa. The run is mainly bare ground with some sand and some grass and weeds. I am feeding medicated starter feed and giving water with chick boost probiotics.

Everything was going pretty well until yesterday when one of them started separating itself from the group, puffing its feathers, and generally looking tired. Itn normally runs away from me so i was surprised when it let me pick it up without a fight. I checked over her body and under her feathers and wings and did not see any ticks, mites, injuries, etc. Her vent looks fina and her crop was empty. I monitored her for about 45 minutes and she never tried to eat or drink and did not poop. At the end of the day when i put them all in the coop for the night she seemed to act a bit more normal, scratching and pecking and wandering the coop. I held the water in front of her and she drank some. I also got her to eat some crumbles out of my hand. This morning she was still acting lethargic and had puffed up feathers, would not eat feed from my hand, and would not drink water when offered. I still did not see any poop from her but i checked all the droppings i could find and none seemed out of ordinary using the master chart for poop types.

At this point i am going to go get corid and treat as if they all have coccidiosis because of the symptoms. I also just read that the medicated feed cancels out the effectiveness of the coccid vax that they got..

I know there are a lot of posts out there with similar stories and i have spent over an hour browsing them but i still feel overwhelmed and unsure that i am doing the right thing.

Attachments

• 0421211937a.jpg
    0421211937a.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 0421211937.jpg
    0421211937.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 27
[QUOTE="Meeecho, post: 24333205, member: 607367"
At this point i am going to go get corid and treat as if they all have coccidiosis because of the symptoms.

That's exactly what I'd suggest.
[/QUOTE]
Should I bring the girl experiencing symptoms inside for some warmth and isolation or would that cause more issues down the line?

That's exactly what I'd suggest.
Should I bring the girl experiencing symptoms inside for some warmth and isolation or would that cause more issues down the line?
[/QUOTE]
I don't know if it would make a difference either way. The warmth might help, but being isolated might stress her out. You could move her and see what happens. It's hard to say from a picture, but she looks like she might be dying either way. Do whatever feels best to you.

So after speaking with Wilco Farm Store where i got the pullets they say that they do not get their chicks vaccinated against coccidosis so the medicated feed should be protecting against it. They suggested that she might be stressed after the move outside and the colder night time temperatures. It was recommended that i put a heat lamp in their coop for some extra warmth at night, to feed some yogurt and wet crumbles, and sugar water in a syringe.

Another update. I isolated her and she finally pooped. There are what looks like little black worms in her poop? Couldn't get a photo of exactly what i am referring to but here's a photo of the poop.

Attachments

• 0422211331.jpg
    0422211331.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 27
I believe it was coccidiosis. I did not have the feces tested but the corid medicine seemed to have worked. Best of luck with your bird!

Back
Top Bottom