Lethargic pullet with water balloon like feeling in chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coralietg, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    I have an Orpington pullet who has started acting very down today. Her feet are swollen and scaly, I gave her an epsom salt soak to help her feet. The skin around her eyes is quite puffy. I tried to feel her crop today, but there doesn't seem to be anything in it. Instead, it feels like she has a big pocket of air under the skin on her chest.

She has little interest in eating, any ideas?

2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I can't speak for the feet or eyes, but the swollen crop could be sour crop.

3. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    There is no bad smell around her beak, I was thinking about that earlier. She is walking around with her backside kind of up in the air. I'm wondering whether she is egg bound. I had a look at her vent earlier, didn't notice anything amiss. She didn't roost this evening, she's sat on the bottom of the coop.

4. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Can anyone out there on BYC help, please? I have no more help. Good luck.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are several things going on at the same time. Swollen eyes sound like a respiratory disease. It sounds also like there are scaly leg mites. And sitting with the tail in the air can mean egg bound. The air in the chest could be subcutaneous emphysema, or leaking air sac due to a chest injury or infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by