Lethargic Rhode Island Red

BeachyChick310

Hatching
Aug 30, 2016
Southern, CA
I found one of my 1.5 year old Rhode Island Reds laying in the nesting box this morning. She was lethargic, floppy, couldn't pick her head up. I called a friend who gave me some antibiotic to give her and I've been administering it every 2 hours since 8:30 am. The first dose of antibiotic she took like a champ. When I gave her more at 10:30 she seemed really thirsty so I gave her water, too. She drank what I would say is a lot of water out of my hand. it was the same at 12:30, 2:30, and 4:30. the last time I was out there she had moved from the nesting box out of the coop and was laying on the ground. I picked her up and her head shot up really quickly and then she dropped it and it got droopy again. She will stand up but her head will be hanging down and touching the ground. She can pick it up every so often but it seems to zap her energy and she can't keep it up.

A little backstory: She has been separated from the rest of the flock for over a week because they were pulling her feathers out. She had been broody for quite a while (like 3 weeks) and then she started molting. Then the others started pulling her feathers out. So I separated her from the flock so she could heal and grow her feathers back. Shes been laying an egg a day (and even layed one yesterday) and her feather are coming in nicely. This lethargy came on suddenly some time in the night.

I don't know if there's anything else I should be doing for her or if anyone might know what's happening to her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has she been eating and drinking well?
Sometimes if they have been broody, they don't eat/drink like they should.

Make sure she is hydrated well, give her some poultry electrolytes if you have them, once she has drank then offer some wet feed - add a little protein like scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna or mackerel.

Check to make sure she is not egg bound. Feel inside the vent about an inch and see if there is an egg.
Also wouldn't hurt to check her crop to make sure it's not impacted or sour.

Let us know how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom