Lethargic Sick Chicken! Please HELP!!!!

mickeya254

Hatching
May 26, 2020
Hello Friends,

I am new to this forum but I recently found a very sick wild rooster (I'm in Hawaii). He is lethargic an d wont eat or drink by himself. He just sits and rest but he is reactive to noise an me touching or picking him up. He has black spots on his crown and it looks like he might've been in a fight so I'm guessing its scabs or dried blood? His eyes also look off to me. The third eyelid keeps appearing and he has pale colored bags underneath his eye. I have given him medication for internal worms and parasites along with electrolytes, and I rinsed his eyes with saline and put Neosporin on them, but he does not seem to be getting any better. Please help I've taken care of a lot of animals but I've never take care of a chicken. Any help or advice would be helpful, I really don't want him to die I have attached picture of his face, he wouldn't open his eyes this morning.

rooster 2.jpg

Hello Friends,

I am new to this forum but I recently found a very sick wild rooster (I'm in Hawaii). He is lethargic an d wont eat or drink by himself. He just sits and rest but he is reactive to noise an me touching or picking him up. He has black spots on his crown and it looks like he might've been in a fight so I'm guessing its scabs or dried blood? His eyes also look off to me. The third eyelid keeps appearing and he has pale colored bags underneath his eye. I have given him medication for internal worms and parasites along with electrolytes, and I rinsed his eyes with saline and put Neosporin on them, but he does not seem to be getting any better. Please help I've taken care of a lot of animals but I've never take care of a chicken. Any help or advice would be helpful, I really don't want him to die I have attached picture of his face, he wouldn't open his eyes this morning.

View attachment 2161349
Thank you so much for trying to help this rooster.
It looks like he may have been in a fight with another rooster or attacked by something. Try to wash off the dried blood. If you have any triple antibiotic ointment you can apply that liberally to cleaned wounds. Check his entire body over for other injuries. Keep him in a quiet, dim place and let him rest. Leave him with fresh clean water.

Yea looks like something got him pretty good. I will continue to put triple antibiotic on his wounds and keep him comfortable and safe. Do you think that's the only thing from your experience?

Have you been able to make him drink water, like with a syringe? Adding some sugar to any water you give him could help give him a little boost.

What have you tried feeding him? Scrambled or boiled eggs are good option to try.

Do you have any place to get some chicken all flock feed or baby chick feed? Egg, tuna, canned cat food in small bits can be good, but a good chicken feed has all he needs. He will need a little TLC for awhile, and hopefully he will recover. I would just offer water and food often, and keep him in a quiet place .

Force feed him a electrolyte fluid with a broad spectrum antibiotic crushed up in it. Amoxicillin or Tetracycline/Doxycycline. Get a plastic syringe and jam it down the rooster's throat. Shoot 3ml-5ml two or three times daily. After two days of this use a high food in the syringe mixed with antibiotic for an additional 3 days.

Force feed him a electrolyte fluid with a broad spectrum antibiotic crushed up in it. Amoxicillin or Tetracycline/Doxycycline. Get a plastic syringe and jam it down the rooster's throat. Shoot 3ml-5ml two or three times daily. After two days of this use a high food in the syringe mixed with antibiotic for an additional 3 days.
If you choose to go this route, be sure to Google how to do it or he will aspirate and die. Gotta make sure it goes down the right tube.

Unrelated: Nedry was killed by distant relatives of the chicken for underestimating them... Hmmm..... Interesting username..... 🤔

Back
Top Bottom