lethargic, sickly 7 month old easter egger pullet

Aug 17, 2018
St. Louis, Missouri
She is walking slowly, one eye is shut, not watery or pussy, she will open it, and it looks fine, but she mostly keeps it closed. Hasn't started laying yet, she doesn't feel bound up. She isn't interested in the usual snacks of fruit I bring to them several times a week.
Yesterday she was just fine. She keeps falling asleep standing up.
Her bones/wings/comb all look and feel fine. She just really looks tired and lethargic.
She is with 5 other pullets, which are all acting normal.
Should I separate her from the flock? Should I take her to the vet?

She is walking slowly, one eye is shut, not watery or pussy, she will open it, and it looks fine, but she mostly keeps it closed. Hasn't started laying yet, she doesn't feel bound up. She isn't interested in the usual snacks of fruit I bring to them several times a week.
Yesterday she was just fine. She keeps falling asleep standing up.
Her bones/wings/comb all look and feel fine. She just really looks tired and lethargic.
She is with 5 other pullets, which are all acting normal.
Should I separate her from the flock? Should I take her to the vet?
I would start with separating her and putting her in a warm, dry place. I have found that feeding ill chickens a mix of mushy, flavorless oatmeal with crushed up had boiled eggs (with no shell) helps them a lot. I don't know what to make of the closed eye though, keep an eye on it. Sometimes gunk can get stuck behind the upper lid but that usually only on older birds. How is she acting with the others? Is she missing any feathers?

Last edited:
Her feathers look perfect and healthy, none missing, she is just resting in the corner, not really interacting with the others. I did let them free range today, and she walked slowly out of the pen about 3 feet, and just stood there, and eventually slowly walked back in and went to the corner.
I did just pick her up and feel her crop, which felt empty, and felt around down by her chute, nothing bulging. I forced her beak into a cup of water while I was holding her, and she did take a few swallows. Her tail feathers are clean, but I haven't seen what her poop looks like. She just looks exhausted.

Her feathers look perfect and healthy, none missing, she is just resting in the corner, not really interacting with the others. I did let them free range today, and she walked slowly out of the pen about 3 feet, and just stood there, and eventually slowly walked back in and went to the corner.
I did just pick her up and feel her crop, which felt empty, and felt around down by her chute, nothing bulging. I forced her beak into a cup of water while I was holding her, and she did take a few swallows. Her tail feathers are clean, but I haven't seen what her poop looks like. She just looks exhausted.
What's the weather like in your area?

Back
Top Bottom