Lethargic, weak acting hen. I'm afraid she is going to die.

**Update**

I force fed her some crumble mixed with electrolyte water into a runny paste. At first she didn't like me doing that, but after she swallowed it she sort of came to life and start to peck it out of my fingers. I let her eat as much as she wanted, which was only a couple teaspoons. I tried to give her water but could only get a little in. I did pick up some Corrid to add to the flock's water and I gave her a syringe full. I also got some wormer (Tractor Supply was super UNhelpful!) but I'm going to get their feces tested at the vet on Monday to see if they need it. So far no bloody poop from anybody and I have not seen any worms either. My sick hen's crop is empty. I'm still not sure what is wrong with her. All I know to do is try and feed her as much as I can and hope.
I'm still open to suggestions, ideas, or any other helpful tips.

I usually start simple. Most chickens have very common illnesses. Worming is good. Then Iwould put them all on an antibiotic, broad spectrum. You never know what they've come in contact with. I might even try sulfadimethoxine, which is for coccidiosis, but is used as an antibiotic as well. Vitamins, electrolytes. You may as well hit all the common bases.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. Unfortunately she died while I was at church this morning.
hit.gif
I'm going to do everything I can to find out what killed her and maybe I'll be able to help others with these symptoms because this pops up quite often. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

So very sorry!!!
hugs.gif

I must say I think it's admirable you have a constructive perspective on how you can use hard things for good, & that you have given your new chickens such conscientious care.

So sorry to hear the loss of your chicken
sad.png

So very sorry!!!
hugs.gif

I must say I think it's admirable you have a constructive perspective on how you can use hard things for good, & that you have given your new chickens such conscientious care.
Thanks for the kind words. It was very sad, but I could just sort of tell there was nothing I could do for her. Thankfully she was isolated and no other chickens are presenting symptoms. I've been calling everyone from vets to the Ohio Ag Dept. to arrange for a necropsy and fecal testing for parasites. Hopefully I'll have a concrete answer soon and no one else will have to feel helpless.
highfive.gif

Thanks for the kind words. It was very sad, but I could just sort of tell there was nothing I could do for her. Thankfully she was isolated and no other chickens are presenting symptoms. I've been calling everyone from vets to the Ohio Ag Dept. to arrange for a necropsy and fecal testing for parasites. Hopefully I'll have a concrete answer soon and no one else will have to feel helpless.
highfive.gif
I know this was 2012 but what was the result of the necropsy. Sadly as you said there are many posts like this but no final answers.

My two urban hens that I lost to worms acted like that- fine then within 2 or 3 days went downhill fast. I caught one early, wormed her and she bounced right back. I would try that right away, keep it inside and go to soft foods. It won't hurt if it's not worms, but could save it if it is. Most feed store carry a broad spectrum wormer you mix with water... Now I use an all natural wormer in their feed and no more worms!
What wormer havevyou been happy with?

Back
Top Bottom