Lethargic with white spots on her cheek

Thank you for sending. Local walmart only carries the calcium carbonate with D3 so I'll have to go to the drug store to find the citrate. I had her out free ranging yesterday and kept the coop locked up after the other hens were done laying. As soon as I opened the coop, she ran for a nest and didn't care which one it was. She managed to break into one where I had a large brick and box in front of it and was laying on the brick! lol She would not stay on the roost with the other ladies so we put a perch in a dog tote inside the coop with the others.

I want the other hens to be able to lay this morning, so I plan to move broody to a large wire crate in a cool spot in the run until they finish and then let her free range the rest of the day with them (with the coop closed). They were not going in to lay and I kept finding them in the yard I think because the broody hen was yelling at them when they tried so I don't want them to forget where to go to lay.

I'm glad you said she could still stay out and free range because I was under the impression from others that she needed to be crated for 3 days to break her of the broodiness. If she's still broody after that, what can be done? She seems to have it bad.
I have two and they always want to go in there and sit I just have to keep taking her eggs and putting her out of the nesting box.. one of them does get up it the other one wanted to sit on them all day and she did it when I took them. So then I let her hatch eggs and I marked them bc other hens were trying to get in her box and lay there too.. and I think she would get up early in the morning to move around bc I caught up moving around then.. anyhow since she was able to hatch her eggs she hasn't wanted to sit any.. I didn't know how to break her of the broodiness either. But letting her hatch did not end up working out so next I will have to try to break her of it.

Did you ever figure out
I'm new to chickens and five have 6 month old hens and one rooster. Something is wrong with one of my hens. She is lethargic and has been sitting in her nesting box all day. No eggs under her but she did lay this morning. Has a few little white bumps on her cheek. I didn't feel any eggs stuck in the vent. She can only groan. Faint clucking sound. Just checked and she's back in the nest instead of roosting with the others. I wasn't here this morning but my husband said there were a couple of soft eggs under her roost this morning from last night that apparently just fell out. I'm not sure what's going on. Should I bring her inside/separate her from the flock? Scrambled eggs, colloidal silver? I knew I would have to deal with sick chickens eventually, so here I am, a first timer and I'm quite worried about her. Any input is appreciated.View attachment 3606806
Did you figure out anything about your hen?

Did you ever figure out

Did you figure out anything about your hen?
Definitely broody :). Seems to be doing better after taking measures to break her of it, but she lost a couple of notches in status as a result. I have to put her on the roost at night or she'll go back to the nest. I think she is afraid to get up there so I put her on the top rung lol.

I have two and they always want to go in there and sit I just have to keep taking her eggs and putting her out of the nesting box.. one of them does get up it the other one wanted to sit on them all day and she did it when I took them. So then I let her hatch eggs and I marked them bc other hens were trying to get in her box and lay there too.. and I think she would get up early in the morning to move around bc I caught up moving around then.. anyhow since she was able to hatch her eggs she hasn't wanted to sit any.. I didn't know how to break her of the broodiness either. But letting her hatch did not end up working out so next I will have to try to break her of it.
Broody chicks are tough! I haven't tried hatching any new chicks yet, but probably will this spring. I think we'll need another house though because their boxes aren't really big enough for several eggs and chicks. Just for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom