Lethargic with white spots on her cheek

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
I'm new to chickens and five have 6 month old hens and one rooster. Something is wrong with one of my hens. She is lethargic and has been sitting in her nesting box all day. No eggs under her but she did lay this morning. Has a few little white bumps on her cheek. I didn't feel any eggs stuck in the vent. She can only groan. Faint clucking sound. Just checked and she's back in the nest instead of roosting with the others. I wasn't here this morning but my husband said there were a couple of soft eggs under her roost this morning from last night that apparently just fell out. I'm not sure what's going on. Should I bring her inside/separate her from the flock? Scrambled eggs, colloidal silver? I knew I would have to deal with sick chickens eventually, so here I am, a first timer and I'm quite worried about her. Any input is appreciated.
photo_2023-08-11 22.04.24.jpeg

Can you get some clear well-lit photos of the bumps, of her and her poop?

What do you feed, including treats?

You mention she groans? Can you get a video of what she sounds like? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If you suspect she's having troubles with soft shelled eggs, then give her extra Calcium for a few days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

See that she's drinking well and eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Any lesions inside the beak or a bad odor coming from the beak?

I will get some better pictures and a video this morning. I feed them Kalmach organic crumbles plus fruit here and there, veggies from the garden, tomatoes sometimes etc. I have free choice oyster shell I leave out for them but I'm not sure's eating it. I'll pick up some of the calcium tablets today too. Thank you for that tip. Is that in the regular vitamin isle or with chicken stuff? They can swallow large pills?

When I pulled her out of the nest yesterday and put her outside she started to eat and drink but did not want any mealworms when I offered them to her. She was out for a bit around the coop but then went back to the nest.

Her eyes seem clear, comb is still red and no lesions or bad odor coming from her beak so far. I'll check again this morning.

You're welcome. I believe the recommended dosage is at least 600 mg. I hope your girl starts to feel better soon! ❤️‍🩹
Thank you! I'm hoping it's broodiness but it's hard to tell because she isn't violent when I put my hand under her, Other hens have been laying eggs around the house and in cars if the door is left open so I'm wondering if she isn't letting them in. I'm going to keep her out if I can while the others lay and then this morning and then lock up the coop for the day. Picking up a wire cage today as well with a set up for food and water just in case.

The only thing that is strange are the few small white spots on her cheek. Looks a little crusty.

Can you get some clear well-lit photos of the bumps, of her and her poop?

What do you feed, including treats?

You mention she groans? Can you get a video of what she sounds like? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If you suspect she's having troubles with soft shelled eggs, then give her extra Calcium for a few days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

See that she's drinking well and eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Any lesions inside the beak or a bad odor coming from the beak?
I didn't get the groaning because I had already put her out and locked her out of the coop. Seems to be broody though. She has been trying to get back in all day. I put the other 4 hens in so they could lay and left the broody one out with the rooster. She has been eating and drinking. Not skiddish like normal though. Let's me pick her up w/o screaming but she flies towards the coop every time I open it.

I got a wire crate that I may put her in tomorrow morning. Once the hens are done laying I'll lock up the coop until this evening. I was thinking about putting her in a small dog carrier on a 2x4 perch inside the coop tonight so she doesn't get in the nest but she still gets to be with the others. Do you think that's ok? I'll have food and water in there with her and then move her outside tomorrow. Should I just break her and leave her in the wire crate for 5 days?

Last question is I got some calcium citrate but the only calcium with D3 was carbonate so I bought D3 2000 liquid gel capsules and 600mg calcium citrate. Seems like they need to be cut up some before i give them to her but can they take the whole thing and also the d3 gel? I don't want to choke her. I also got Calcium carbonate that has 800iu D3 in it.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help! Trying to upload the video but I think it's too big.

Attachments

• photo_2023-08-12 11.07.43.jpeg
    photo_2023-08-12 11.07.43.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2023-08-12 11.07.46.jpeg
    photo_2023-08-12 11.07.46.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 7
Other hens have been laying eggs around the house and in cars if the door is left open so I'm wondering if she isn't letting them in. I'm going to keep her out if I can while the others lay and then this morning and then lock up the coop for the day. Picking up a wire cage today as well with a set up for food and water just in case.

She has been eating and drinking. Not skiddish like normal though. Let's me pick her up w/o screaming but she flies towards the coop every time I open it.
Sounds like she's o.k.

I don't know why you would want to lock her out. If she's broody and you don't want her to sit, just keep running her out of the nest and put her on the roost at night. Separation from the flock may mean you have to re-integrate.

As for the Calcium just give her the Calcium citrate. You can cut it in half if you wish. I just pop the pill into the beak.

I don't see any spots in the photos - must have been some stuck on debris?

Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

1691898177639.png

Back
Top Bottom