Lethargy associated with thin shells- HELP!

sandykopandy

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011

UPDATE: She has been lying around all day but I checked her vent and it was gunky- poop and possibly egg stuck all around and in. I submerged her tushy in a basin of warm water and very gently alternated between that and rubbing olive oil in to gently loosen anything that was stuck. I was able to get her vent clean and she seems a little better. I believe she even pooped.

Okay, now I feel like since no one has responded that I'm insane person talking to myself, HA! Well, in case anyone can help- one last thing: can you tell me if this poop looks to be within normal limits? I've looked at the famous poop page but couldn't really find a good match. Hopefully things are looking up. Still would love any advice anyone has.

(Below is my original post.)
First, my hens get layer feed, have 24/7 access to oyster shell supplementation and several hours of free ranging with lots of greens, etc each day. They get BOSS for treats as well as things like watermelon which they've been getting a lot of lately. In other words, I think their diet is pretty solid unless I'm missing something.

About a week ago in the early evening, my EE was a little lethargic. She wasn't moving a lot and stayed in the run when the others were out. Her eyes appeared fine and I did a "wait and see". (She's a great layer but hadn't laid that day.) The next morning she laid an egg with a paper thin shell and then suddenly she was happy and perky and fine!

Well yesterday the same pattern started- she was a bit lethargic looking but still pecking around alone a bit- just not very active at all- sitting in one spot for hours. This morning she was sitting on the ground of the run- or I should say "lying" in that she was in a hunkered down position and she definitely looked worse. I picked her up and felt her crop. I have read what a crop is supposed to feel like- hers felt like a bag filled with seeds- I could feel the individual seeds.She let me hold her in my lap (unusual for her) and she fell asleep while I cooed to her...and after a while I put her into the nesting box so that she could have some peace and darkness.

I went to the feed store and the only thing they could recommend was electrolytes and yogurt. It is not my sense that this is what she needs but I filled both waterers with "eloctrolyted" water. When she saw me, she slowly came out of the nest box and commenced to "sit" on the ground of the run. Then I noticed an empty shell in the corner of the run- she had obviously laid another paper thin shelled egg in the run and perhaps had eaten it. Not sure when- probably this morning. In any case, she is NOT back to her old self. She is lethargic, sleeping in my lap and just not right.

I'm worried that she has retained a piece of the shell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Sandy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom