Let's be honest folks!!!

We started 3 weeks ago, between 12 hour work days for my DH, and rain, snow, and wind we finally got the 4th wall done yesterday. We are now waiting on a friend to help with the roof. Ours will be 10x8. Cost well, since we are not done yet, but alot more than I expected, probably around 800.00, still cheaper than any shed I have seen locally. I have not even figured for the run yet... URGH! LOL

About 6 weeks. It could have been done in a few days, but the schedule was dependent on paydays and affected by bad weather.

Over budget. Even going "cheap" on some materials and using some hardware I had lying around, it added up quickly. Who would have thought it would take 50 8' 2x4's to build a 6'x8' coop and run?

Last edited:
Scorwin - Where are you in NE Ohio? I'm in Fowler Township, which is east of Cortland. My retired carpenter is over near Lodi.

Here's my new coop. It's a little bigger than 8x6. I haven't seen it in person yet since I am out of town. This is a picture of my DH hauling it home from the builder's house today. It probably cost us $1200 to build, but that included all new materials (can't ever convince DH that we should try to recycle) and paying the builder. It has an exterior nest box that can be removed for cleaning. No electricity, but that might get added later. The chicken doors will open from outside of the coop and outside of the run that will be attached (see the white PVC pipes that go across the chicken door on the side). I'm so excited!!!
celebrate.gif

Well this is what we started with to build our 3rd coop (out grew first two and more chicks on the way). It is a 8'x14' 40 yr. old shed. We have already cut off the bottom 6" all the way around including the floor because it was all rotted. We plan to add a new floor, move it 40' feet then, elevate it on 4x4 legs and runners. We will add a 6'x14' lean off both sides using pallets for flooring and walls. Hope to keep the cost down on this one but new lumber, bolts and screws - still add up fast.

Ok, this is a great topic. I've built my own last summer for several weekends and paid someone to build one a few months ago when I realized the coop I built was too small.

I built this coop last summer over 2 months of weekends:

Please notice the dollhouse behind the coop. That is my current hen house. My daughters outgrew it several years ago, and it has been just sitting my yard.

My daughters were really distressed that they could not walk in and pick up their hens in the first coop. That was my impulse to have a coop built.

In three days of hired labor and $1000 (including renovating the dollhouse to accompany a community nest box and clean out door):

You can't see the dollhouse so well but it is there. Here is the door to the hen house:

I love my coop!

Here's my chicken tractor. I probably have around $600 in it (all new materials) and I used more tools than I can list. The good news is I was forced to purchase a roto-zip (which I've always wanted) to finish out my custom-built chicken windows.
wink.png

Never heard of a Roto-zip...could you post a pic?

Here's a portable coop I just finished~took me 10 days. Now, I must tell you that this is a "lady-build" coop, so there isn't a square angle or level board in the whole thing, I'd wager~I've no discernible carpentry skills.

I used a hammer, drill, and a sawsall. Most of the materials are new but some odd pieces of scrap lumber are in there as well.

This is the first coop I've ever built, so I made quite a few mistakes but I've found that chickens don't care. It's 8x 10 and will have hay bales along the inside walls this winter, will house 20 birds but will only be holding 8.

I haven't done the final tally on the cost as of yet but it falls just over $200, give or take a dollar or two. It would have been more expensive in just additional wire overlay but I don't have to worry about preds so much as just holding in the birds when I wish to, so plastic mesh was used. They will be free ranging out of this, so no run necessary.

The base is treated lumber, the cap has plastic attached to firring strips, then the tarp, also secured with firring strips. I used some old tongue in groove to frame the outside access doors and some old tomato stakes for bracing. It's pretty heavy, so must be moved with a vehicle to new locations. The nest boxes are lined with thick cardboard for insulation and their front comes completely off for cleaning. Roosts, waterers and feeders will be added later when the layers are installed.

The first residents will be 50 CX chicks that will free range out of it...they are currently ensconced in it, as we speak, in a brooder formed of hay bales.

Last edited:
Great thread.

I built my duck house last year:

(ETA: I kept in my budget, but have made "improvements" since. My first duck house was $150, then an additional $20 for pea gravel & sand. I got a great deal on a slightly bent piece of roof, which helped cut cost. I did not skimp on the hardware cloth. It took 3 days, instead of two, but was made to be expanded, and is more of an "open air" coop - the ducks prefer to sleep in the yard rather than the box. I am a useless carpenter, and "designed & built" this myself. It works a great deal better than I expected.)

This year we are bringing in a retired friend to help built a chicken/duck condo. I am going to help every step of the way - he is an amazing builder & I want to learn so I can build all my own beautiful coops someday. They will have a shared yard, and range in the garden from time to time.
I am trying to use as many reclaimed materials as I can. I was lucky & a friend just did major renovation on his house. He has truckloads of lumber for me. I also have a lot of metal roof left from last year's duck house build and a friend gave me a cute stained glass window, so I am off to a good start, but am still looking for ideas.

My focus is safety, space, light, and ventilation & economy.
Any pointers on pop-doors, roost bars, or tips & tricks are welcomed & appreciated.
For now, I will wait for more coop pics...
pop.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom