Lets hear it for the LADIES who build their own coops!

I am remodled a storage building into a three bedroom for my chickens. I don't have the Chicken Pen built yet, and I hope my husband will stay out of it and let me do the work, except for drilling the holes for posts. I will post some pictures.

I agree with cowgurlchick, it's easier if I just do it myself. That way I can go at my own pace, change my mind and my design as much as I want ( I have trouble committing to one idea, I want them all!), and DH helps when I really need him to. He learned a long time ago that my favorite presents are jewelry and power tools! HA!

I am building a 8' x 9' coop and taking lots of pics; I'll get them loaded soon. This is my first project made of all new materials, just couldn't stand the thought of pulling old nails again.

Yay! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that takes this on alone! I built my coop last year, and am now adding on for more babies getting ready to go outside... (I am using an old bunkbed frame to add on)

Here's the back Where I get my eggs....
(It was super duper windy yesterday and I had to put a rock on the top of the nest box because it blew the latch right off!)
DSCF4671.jpg

Here is the front... (you can see the bunkbed parts
smile.png
I am going to enclose it on 3 sides only
DSCF4672.jpg

And here is the othr part of the bunkbed.. this part is my husbands project because he said my idea was dumb.. His just looks like a bed, haha.. He said he is putting a roof on it and this and that blah blah blah... We will see who's turns out better!!!
yippiechickie.gif

DSCF4670.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, ladies!!!! I didn't build my coop, but I build my own quail cages. Guess what I bought today!!! ok I'll tell you - a 10" mitre saw!!! Got tired of having to borrow DBF's or Dad's saws!

wee.gif

I am so happy there are so many other ladies out there that do this themselves. Around here, all the neighbor ladies think I'm nuts not having my husband or father build the projects I want. I love doing it myself, so why not? I am asking for a router for Mother's Day!

Thanks for the great thread.

I finally put the hardware parts all back on and took the pics of the coop I just finished building.
20741_100_1941.jpg

20741_100_1918.jpg

20741_100_1922.jpg

All the other pics on my page.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=20741

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom