Lets hear it for the LADIES who build their own coops!

I love them!! I love the recycling you have done. With the economy like it is, we are having to use what we can get! Having hard time getting hubby to learn that, but he is starting to. The trampoline spring is a great idea. I see you live in a hot part of the country like me. We are doing a 3 sided coop open to the run.

thumbsup.gif

I designed and built my own with had tools and from mostly recycled materials. I had to purchase only the wire.
10007_penthouse_addition_wih_paint.jpg

Here it is as it stands today. I am constantly adding and improving on it. It has a coop area where I keep food, the nest boxes and roosts for most of the birds. It has a totally separated section for my one rooster who does not play well with the others. I just added the tall "penthouse" section for him this last weekend. The front faces on all the roost areas are of clear plexiglass so I can look in and see them roosting.

lil'chickies :

I love them!! I love the recycling you have done. With the economy like it is, we are having to use what we can get! Having hard time getting hubby to learn that, but he is starting to. The trampoline spring is a great idea. I see you live in a hot part of the country like me. We are doing a 3 sided coop open to the run.

thumbsup.gif

thanks! i get all the pallets for free, pick em up almost every week​

I didn't build, nor do I think I 'could' build a whole coop. But, I did build what I call the Sanctuary when I moved last year's chicks out of the nursery coop and in with the big girls. I felt like they needed a place to be able to get away from the bullies if need be.

100_1218.jpg

I have big ideas dancing in my head for other projects using some of the good wood from the OLD barn we tore down last year.

17886_taj_mahal_cleo.jpg

Here's mine. I got a super-terrific deal on tongue in groove wood that was only 4 ft long. SO I designed the coop to use the wood in the best way, adjusting as I went. Floor is 4x8 TIG; back is 4x8 TIG, sides are 4 ft wide, front is 8 ft wide and 7 ft high to give more roosting room inside. Inside are 3 roosts 4 ft long in a spiral shape. The hens hop from roost to the elevated large nesting boxes. Small ventilation windows are on east/west sides.
I should have added a window in front, but didn't have one and was worried about southern exposure cooking them in hot summers.
I did all the sides myself. Hubby did the high roof work cos I couldn't reach as far.
OH... and I bought myself a nail gun first! I deserved it and it was WONDERFUL!

Back
Top Bottom