Lets hear it....Why don't you sell hatching eggs???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mrs. Turbo, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I will start.
    We only sell about 4 dozen eggs a year when the bators are full because I just couldnt take the drama anymore. You buy 12 eggs....doesn't always = 12 chicks.... If you want 12 chicks, we sell them too. [​IMG]

I just got my *** ripped because I forgot to put the phone number on the box of eggs. Very honest mistake.... I don't usually forget stuff like that. Simple solution would be for the customer to call their post office and have them hold the box. Most of the time they deliver to the house anyways even though the phone number is listed. I am also being accused of improper packing and old eggs and the eggs were just sent today.... they haven't even been delivered!!! [​IMG]

as soon as the eggs were won for $20 plus shipping I got an email saying she wanted them double boxed and a cold pack,like I usually do..... um, that is not how we pack them and I do not have those supplies on hand, but we do pack them very well with no complaints so far.

your turn [​IMG]

2. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    I told you we should have eaten those eggs...LOL

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Sorry to hear someone is being like that.... [​IMG]

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would sell mine if they were not a mixed flock and i get more eggs then i am atm. But i do sell extra eggs i get for eating and i stopped puting ads out cause people get really annoying. Like they say oh ill meet you at this time, and dont show or cancel to many times.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    In your listing, specify how you pack your eggs. If someone asks for things to be done differently, tell them what the additional cost will be (materials, extra postage, handling (your time and efforts spent acquiring the extra materials), and remove whatever regular guarantees you may make or extra eggs included as this is not YOUR method.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I didn't this year but did last year. I was lucky and had no complaints. I think its really neat to think about "my" chickens blood line being all over the U.S.!I proably will try again next year. I don't think I charged enough and sure didn't make over a couple of bucks,but it was fun any way.

7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Because the hens ALL go broody at the same time, and I don't have any more good hatching eggs.

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Why don't I sell my hatching eggs???-----cause I'm an enabler and give them away from my Mutt flock of dual purpose birds. Muhahahahahaha...... you say you would like a few chickens? Your incubator will hold 40 eggs, might as well top it off. Why are you cussing me out about having to build a bigger coop? What do you mean you don't know how to send your extra Roos to freezer camp? You say your wife is P.O.ed at me cause her flowers got eaten? Relax, the grass will grow back. YouÂ’ll be wanting to fence off your garden, trust me.

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    #1 I am terrified that someone else will hatch out THE ONE and post photos of it all over BYC to the point that I want to drive over to their house and steal it back in the middle of the night.... [​IMG]

#2 because some (very few actually) people are so demanding and expect way too much. I package fresh and ship priority. I bubble wrap each egg individually and place in egg cartons ( I raise bantams) I then bubble wrap the carton and tightly fit in a box with plenty of packing material. That is a lot of work for $30 or so bucks and then you wait.... wait for them to get there and here back and [​IMG] that everything is ok and that the other end is happy.

Most of my shipments have gone on to successful hatches. But, after replacements from shipments that didn't end very well and sending the link to Speckledhen's fertile vs. infertile egg pictures a half a dozen times... Im just about done. I did sell a few shipments this year but, because they are a project and both folks that had great hatches didn't wind up with the color they expected and were disappointed... so was I [​IMG] It flat out is not worth it. Some have made a nice little business out of it but, for me.. it just AIN'T worth it [​IMG]

10. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Why I don't sell hatching eggs....................................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

because I don't have a rooster! [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by