Let's make the newbies feel better by.....

cfdf

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
letting them know that all your chickies survived. So many people post on here about loosing a chick or a sick chick and it really worries the newbies. If you have or had chicks and didn't loose any, let them know. It will help them to relax and enjoy their chicks. I for one haven't lost any. How about you?

Well, maybe it'll just make the people who HAVE lost chicks feel worse!?!

But I haven't lost any. Yet. Every one I've hatched out has made it into adulthood. Phew!

I've raised chicks for 19 years now, only lost one.

BUT.... the biggest factor, IMO, is the temperature. I think some chicks just get too hot. It's deadly. I don't start at 95F anymore, I start at 90F, in a stable room environment, no children or pets allowed for at least a week. Even then, pets never, children only under careful supervision.

Mostly it's common sense, careful observation and research ahead of time. It's not unusual to lose some, especially when shipped. But don't panic, find out why.

Hope everyone can keep those chicks going!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
It's not my intention to make anyone feel worse. My intentions are to make them feel better. For anyone who has lost a bird, hang in there! The enjoayment you will get from your birds will surpass any dissappointment you may have due to a loss.

We still have our 6 girls and are 2 weeks in! And thats even with me trying to litterally bake them in the begining b/c I had the heat lamp to low...
hu.gif
oops

My first order from last year in feb. shipped 30 birds and I received 30, which all lived to 10 weeks as they were killed by dogs
somad.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
!

The next day I got 12 more and they are all alive today. This year I ordered again and got 26 healthy ones via the USPS and they are 4 weeks old, doing awesome and growing like crazy! I have yet to lose any chicks thru attrition, only from predators. It can be done and I am new to this chicken-thing with no prior farm experience with any type of livestock.
wee.gif
ya.gif

Well, I just rehomed some. 2 starter pullets (blue wyandottes), 1blue wyandotte rooster, and 2 6 week old baby mixed pullets to my good friend to help her out.
Dad gave 2 more of the 6 week old mix chicks to his friend that is moving up to north Texas.
Got 9 replacements in the bator and oogling over all the cute fuzzies posted.

My last hatch 7 out of 8 local eggs made it and those mixed chicks are the most fiestiest bunch I have raised. Supper rowdy and growing faster than the weeds.

The happy thriving ones are worth the exp.
Kim's pullets laid an egg for her and the 2 young ones follow her son around everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom