Lets play "Guess the Breed"

Elsa is an easter egger rooster. Most easter egger roos are that color although they do throw some other colors. The "golden" wyandotte is a pullet.
Oh boy.....thats what I was afraid of. We may be buying our own home soon, so with any luck he can stay. I guess "Elsa" will be "Olaf" now! I'm sure our daughters won't mind one bit! Thanks for your reply!

Hi everyone! We are now at 11-12 weeks with our Ana. I'm a little worried. I witnessed her "fighting" with one of our Buffs yesterday like a cockrel. Neck puffed out, throwing her feet forward, all the signs of a cockrel. I have read many posts about how to sex by the color. Her pea comb has "3 rows" and is getting a little bigger. We noticed red spots coming in on her shoulders. Here are some pictures for everyone. ANY advice is appreciated. I think we may cry if she is a he! We found "Olaf" a nice farm to go to, but we have attached to Ana thinking she is a pullet. Thanks in advance!

Actually, hens have been known to fight like a cockerel would. At least, mine do from time to time! I'm kind of confused on this one, to be honest.
hmm.png
The red shoulder patches and pink comb do indicate cockerel, but I would hold on to "Ana" for another couple of weeks just to make sure.

~Alex

Last edited:
Actually, hens have been known to fight like a cockerel would. At least, mine do from time to time! I'm kind of confused on this one, to be honest.
hmm.png
The red shoulder patches and pink comb do indicate cockerel, but I would hold on to "Ana" for another couple of weeks just to make sure.

~Alex
Oh yes, Ana is staying with us as long as she doesn't belt out a crow! She has definitely thrown me for a loop the older she is getting. She only fought like that the one time and then hasn't done it since. From what I have read on the forum, most cockerels are more aggressive and don't back down. They tend to do it more often as well. The hens will fight and then be done with it, which she does. I think her pea comb and color is what is confusing me! I'm glad I'm not the only one. She may end up being one of those chickens that you don't know until they crow or lay an egg for you :) Thanks again for your advice! You have been wonderful!

Oh yes, Ana is staying with us as long as she doesn't belt out a crow! She has definitely thrown me for a loop the older she is getting. She only fought like that the one time and then hasn't done it since. From what I have read on the forum, most cockerels are more aggressive and don't back down. They tend to do it more often as well. The hens will fight and then be done with it, which she does. I think her pea comb and color is what is confusing me! I'm glad I'm not the only one. She may end up being one of those chickens that you don't know until they crow or lay an egg for you :) Thanks again for your advice! You have been wonderful!
I would agree since I've got 9 little cockerels right now who do lots of fighting, and the majority are very persistent about it.
big_smile.png
Try looking out for pointed saddle or hackle feathers; that's a telltale sign.

You're so welcome!
smile.png
I'm glad to help however I can.

~Alex

I would agree since I've got 9 little cockerels right now who do lots of fighting, and the majority are very persistent about it.
big_smile.png
Try looking out for pointed saddle or hackle feathers; that's a telltale sign.

You're so welcome!
smile.png
I'm glad to help however I can.

~Alex
Oh wow you have nine! Did you hatch them out on your own? And are they are EE? To be honest with you, that is where I have trouble. I am still trying to learn where the saddle feathers and hackle feathers are. Her neck feathers seem to be somewhat pointy. As far as the saddle, I am assuming those are on their back "where a saddle" would sit on a horse, right? I am trying to compare her feathers to my Buffs since I know they are girls. Wither way, I should know something in a few weeks. Fingers crossed I walk out to a colored egg and not a crow!

Back
Top Bottom