lets see the "ugly" coops plz

ChickensAreSweet & kuntrygirl: of course you may 'steal' my idea; glad someone thinks it's worthy! oooh...TWO someones!
wee.gif

2txmedics: it is still under construction at this time, but I will make sure to find a way to secure that part (thanks
smile.png
)

One day I hope to have a really purty coop & run, but for now, my 'patchwork' will have to suffice!

I considered painting mine. It is treated wood & treated plywood. I'm not sure if paint would be the best idea over the treated lumber, but I've read it does make clean up easier on the interior. Stain might be nice. They make a lot of cool color of stains. But I was really unsure of which is the better choice for longevity of the structure and safety for the chickens. Paint is certainly benign once it is cured I believe. Mine is protected from view by a barrier of woodland at this time but since I've lived here over 15 years I'm less likely to try to conform to the tract mansion standards of excellence of those that have moved from the city and want to change it the day they arrive to be like where they left.

I dont think there is such a thing as an ugly coop.

I think if it works for you and yours then its just fine. Good grief I have seen Coops that cost more than a home, and some that MIGHT cost $10.00, do the chickens care where they get to poop or lay eggs? Nope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
It doesn't matter what the coop looks like, it's how well our chickens are cared for. You can have a million dollar coop and not properly feed and care for your flock and then what do you have. A Hilton Hotel for your flock to live in but then you feed them scraps from the local soup kitchens or not feed and care for them at all. By the time a person is done spending thousands on a coop, you don't have any money left to feed your chickens.
wink.png

Many people are on a budget and may not be able to spend a lot of money on building a coop but we do what we can with what we have. For those that don't like the way our coops look then don't look. I would love for my neighbor to come to my house and tell me that they don't like the way my coop looks. That would be the ONLY and last time that they thought about EVER coming over to the KRAZY Chicken Lady's House with such a ridiculous comment.

With that being said, here are my ugly coop pics.
big_smile.png
Don't laugh too hard. The pics were taken with a camera phone so the images are not as clear as I would like but you get the pic.

6612_ugly_coop.jpg

6612_ugly_coop2.jpg

6612_ugly_coop3.jpg

6612_ugly_coop4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some large packing crates for heavy farm equipment, that I got for free. I am turning the smaller one into a VERY secure coop. Will it be "socially acceptable"? Probably not. Do my neighbors care? I don't know, I didn't ask them. Nor would I ever dream of asking them about what they do on THEIR property.

maggie b, my DH is a pro at painting, both industrial and residential. He say that older PTL can be painted after 6 months, using latex based products. The newer PTL can be done after 3 months. It just needs to have dried out a bit first.

"if the women dont find you handsome they should at least find you handy"

I'd rather have handy than handsome. Pretty is as pretty does

The origional intent was NOT to call out ugly coops but to encourage others that they need not have a hilton hotel for their chickens...here is the thread from when I was building ours....https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352488....It is not pretty either but it sure works well for our purposes at this time though we are already planning next years additional coop and since I fail at search I didnt see the old thread about this same
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom