Let's share our water heaters!!! Show us your water heaters design/setup!!!!

I was very interested in your water heater posts and pictures, thank you, we will be making one of these this weekend, I am also from the Fredericton area and was very excited to see someone else close to home enjoying their hens as much as I do.

Hi New Egg, Good Egg here! I love your slow cooker idea. (I'm all about finding the simple, easy solution!) How has that worked out for you?

Hi New Egg, Good Egg here! I love your slow cooker idea. (I'm all about finding the simple, easy solution!) How has that worked out for you?

Hi! This is my first year with chickens (I have six lovely girls) - - I love the crockpot idea. I guess I could get a small one and one of those thermo timers, just let it go on and off. How do you think that would work out?

Ya know what.... THAT is a good idea! You can pick up a crock pot at Goodwill for around $5-$10... a thermo cube for $15....
Now who wants to figure out how to keep the girls from trying to roost on the side/poop in it/kick shavings in it?
You guys are geniuses - I know you can come up with something simple and effective.

I used a plastic dog bowl with a heater from fleet farm because it will turn on below 40*.

Cut the bottom out of the bowl so the heating element was still supported by plastic.

Bent a sheet of tin so it would wrap around the base of my water'er so it won't slide off and I can also pull the water'er off to re-fill. Kinda like a tin pie pan.

Then I secured the sheet of tin to the plastic of the dog bowl bottom and re-installed the heating element.

Put it outside on a few bricks so its off the ground and away from any grass or things that could light on fire.

I ran over to Bed Bath & Beyone... they carry a nice mini-crockpot for only $9.99 - - combine that with another purchase to birng total over $15 and then use $5 off coupon bringing it down to only about five bucks! Ordering my thermo timer today (I couldn't find it in any local stores), I'll wrap the cords in duct tape and then I guess I'm good to go on the heater!

Back
Top Bottom