Lets Talk About Breeding Rabbits!

we raise several breeds for show and pets. for pregnant ones if they took i have a litter that was due 9th and one 12th for elops. my other doe due the 9th was a black mini rex bred to my red buck pic below. she had 6 babies yesterday look like 1 black, 1 tort, 1 lynx and 3 reds. this is their babies.
0111111919a.jpg

0111111920b.jpg

my older litter was born dec 12th, need to get updated pics but these r them and parents.

this is dad remington-red mini rex
1025101909a.jpg

mom britannia- black tort mini rex
1222102101a.jpg

these r the babies a red buck, lynx doe and 2 lynx bucks
1227102130a.jpg

1227102111.jpg

1227102107.jpg

1227102109a.jpg

Last edited:
For the same reasons people do chickens. To show, to eat, to have as pets, to have for their fiber (Angora rabbits) to sell, etc... we had them to show and have as pets and for 4-H when I was still in 4-H. My 2 year old has his two for pets. Just depends on what you want to do with the.

I started with mini-rex and bred them for a few years, then switched to Holland Lops (love the floppy ears). Got out of it for a while and am just starting back up with 2 Holland Lop females to breed (one of which has a litter about 3 weeks old now). I also have a pair of Lionheads who also delivered her first litter at the same time as the Holland but we lost all of those (not sure why) so will try her again probably next month.
124.jpg

017.jpg

Here's my favorite from this new litter (he is 3 weeks old)
photo2010b.jpg

photo2010.jpg

I also bred a random pair I had (don't know the breeds...just a mix) but the babies were cute. My daughter always carted around her favorite.
bunnies2.jpg

Quote:
i tote it to the garden a wheelbarrow full at a time. it does good on the tomatoes and such, i also put it around some of my young trees i planted.

forgot about what I do with them. Breeding is just a hobby a couple times a year for fun (I only have 3 does right now for breeding purposes) the rest are just pets (I have 11 rabbits total) but my best use of them is for my gardens. Where I live we don't have good soil (a lot of rock) so it really comes in handy to have my own supply of rich poo filler since gardening is one of my favorite hobbies. It really has made a difference in my plants.

I tried rabbits...and finally ate them. I have no idea what they were, but I think I was sold a bill of goods on them. There was supposed to be 2 does and 1 buck, but they all wanted to be bucks.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=387274&l=68476bca88&id=167594288

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=387275&l=5ce5953bb4&id=1675942885

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=387287&l=3e8840b5ab&id=1675942885

Have you been to the sister-site, www.backyardherds.com ? There is a lot on there about rabbits.

Show, dog food, and pelts for dog toys and our use.

Our broken blue mini rex is pulling fur so little ones to follow soon. I'm hoping to keep a broken black since it will be carrying dilute and chocolate. Should be able to produce black, blue, chocolate, and lilac in broken from that. I might keep a buck and a doe because I'm pretty sure the one in the nestbox now is a doe and it will carry the same color genetics except for broken. Would make a good pair for producing all those colors.

Back
Top Bottom