Lets talk about cows

Chaos18

Minion King
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Mar 24, 2015
Slowly Losing it......
Judging from the title I'll let you decide what this thread is about.

So, let's get started. I was surprised to find I now own to calves.....I mean who saw that coming when I bought chickens many moons ago. Okay okay so I wasn't surprised, I mean after all I'm the one who paid for them and brought them home.

They are called bummer calves. If you don't know what that means look it up on a website that gives definitions for words that old people use. They are 5 weeks old and fed 3 times daily. At what point should I open the door to there shelter and let them have the run of the place (i.e. let them go outside into the fenced area and act like cows)? They eat a little grass hay and calf starter along with their bottles. My grass is still brown and it freezes every night.

I start letting my bummer calves out a lot closer to 5 days than 5 weeks. So long as you protect them from drafts, damp and extreme temp changes they do well. The sunshine is good for them and they'll pick at grass long before they can really digest it.

Here's my newest at about a week old, napping in the sunshine in the loafing shed doorway
IMG_20200305_153549.jpg

At 5 weeks old they are plenty acclimated to the environment to have some outdoor time. I would not turn them loose on several acres quite yet, but they would definitely enjoy and benefit from some turnout in a small lot, maybe half and acre or so.

I would make sure they have access to shelter 24/7, and at 5 weeks, I would still be locking them in at night. My main worry at 5 weeks is pneumonia from the elements, and keeping them in at night, in a clean well bedded dry stall always makes me feel like I am doing what I can to prevent it.

Back
Top Bottom