Lets talk about cows

Chaos18

Minion King
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Mar 24, 2015
Slowly Losing it......
Judging from the title I'll let you decide what this thread is about.

So, let's get started. I was surprised to find I now own to calves.....I mean who saw that coming when I bought chickens many moons ago. Okay okay so I wasn't surprised, I mean after all I'm the one who paid for them and brought them home.

They are called bummer calves. If you don't know what that means look it up on a website that gives definitions for words that old people use. They are 5 weeks old and fed 3 times daily. At what point should I open the door to there shelter and let them have the run of the place (i.e. let them go outside into the fenced area and act like cows)? They eat a little grass hay and calf starter along with their bottles. My grass is still brown and it freezes every night.

At 5 weeks old they are plenty acclimated to the environment to have some outdoor time. I would not turn them loose on several acres quite yet, but they would definitely enjoy and benefit from some turnout in a small lot, maybe half and acre or so.

I would make sure they have access to shelter 24/7, and at 5 weeks, I would still be locking them in at night. My main worry at 5 weeks is pneumonia from the elements, and keeping them in at night, in a clean well bedded dry stall always makes me feel like I am doing what I can to prevent it.

Fair warning... You may find yourself here in 5 - 7 years. :gig

Snapchat-1355426112.jpg

Cattle are the best. Enjoy your babies. ❤

Back
Top Bottom