Lets talk about goats!

Pics
Aren't they beautiful? Both are Mini Nubians. The doe is the gray kid, and the buck is the brown spotted kid.

This is their mother's udder the day before she kidded. We knew she was close! I considered pitching a tent and staying with her that night, just for fun, but decided against it. She's a great mom, and a fabulous milker too! I can't wait for her doe to mature.

here is a picture of my Nigerian dwarf goat ellie mae.. she is a love bug follows you all over.. but she love to head butt ouch can hurt times but don't believe in dehorning I think cruel personally ...she is 1 year old

We decided to get two mini goats about a month ago. Never had livestock before and did not know a thing about goats! so bought a few books and read a lot online but nothing prepared me for what a pain they are
he.gif
I searched the internet for what I thought was a good breeder and paid a deposit for two Nigerian dwarf and pygmy goat brother and sister from www.piedpiperpharms.com located in La Vernia. At 8 months I picked them up , paid a total 400.00 for both. The female had bad dirrea but the women said it was from the cold temp, well stupid me not knowing better ! took them home. After 24 hours they both had Diarrhea and I took them to the vet, well they both had Coccidiosis, got them meds and the Diarrhea stopped. But they were full of lice and mites! Still trying to fight the Mites! its been a constant battle , the female has mange and I can't seem to get rid of the mites! I have spent hundreds of dollars on vet and meds. I'm about to sell them.

I also found out my backyard is full of Poisonous plants
he.gif

Oh and the boy was banded and my vet took it off saying that it was not working and he would do the job in two weeks! When I came for the visit the vet told me he couldn't do it because the balls were already dying , they are hard and dry. He said to wait and watch ????? this does not sound right to just leave it alone? Help

Last edited:
As for the testicles, leave them alone. I don't understand why the vet took the band off in the first place. Are you sure the goat has mange? It is possible of course, but ringworm or some other fungal disease is far more likely. Go to the feed store and get some BluKote. It will take care of fungal infections. If that is the problem you will know within a few days. In any event, the BluKote won't hurt and it is inexpensive. While you are at the feed store get some clostridium perfingens toxoid. Look for something that says CD/T. That is both for tetanus and entertoxemia.

Vet said the band looked to big and wasn't doing anything! I'm not sure what she has? I do have Blu Kote I can try. They have an appointment next week to get their 2nd CDT shots. Thank you for your help

I hate when people sell things out there and try to screw people be honest. I have a ndg and thank goodness have good luck so sorry for you

I'm new at this and have a question about the goat diet. I know they are vegetarians, but what would happen if they ate meat? I feed lots of leftovers to my two wethers (basically anything I used to put down a garbage disposal), including pasta dishes, casseroles, etc. I pick the meat out of everything, but if I missed a piece -- would they refuse to eat it, eat it and get sick, or just become a meat-lover? Just curious...

Back
Top Bottom