Lets talk about goats!

Pics

Meet salt & pepper :)
Got them home last night at teatime and as soon as our dog came to say hello they bolted and got straight through fence lol. Had to do a second layer to make holes smaller ... Is it normal for them to be so Scared ? As soon as go near fence they bolt to there house .. There eating and drinking so presume just miss there mum plus it's a new environment for them ..

Yes. They are not familiar with your dog, thus followed their natural instinct thinking that he was after them. They will also need time to adjust to their new home.  If they are scared of you, I'd suggest taking some time to sit in their pen each day talking kindly to them and offering treats.   I would suggest putting up a more secure fence than what you have. Goats are very smart and excellent escape artists.  And, seeing that they have horns, you will have to deal with them getting stuck / tangled up in that fence- something that will not be fun to deal with. 

Congrats on the new goats; they have such pretty coats.

They are beautiful! Are they Nigerian Dwarfs?

WHOOO we are having goat babies today. One of my first time Nigerians has had one and we are patiently waiting, I am sure there is at least one more hiding in there.

my dad is talking my mom into getting a pair of Nigerian dwarfs  tell me everything i need to know about them  like what's a good feed  what's a good age to get them can  they free range with chickens and what's a good cheap way of building a  home for them thanks :)

Cheap Shelter- Zip tie 5 pallets together. 1 for the floor,1 for the roof, & 3 for the walls. Then find something to cover the holes with. Goats don't like the rain or the wind.

Last edited:
Ok, so I just found this thread and I will pretend I read all 900+ posts. We have 2 Nigerian Dwarf girls, GiGi and Daisy. The wife decided that from what she read, they will produce some of the sweetest milk. I'm personally not a fan of goat milk but then again I don't drink cow milk either. To me, milk is for cereal and baking. So she got them for milk, I just like them as pets. The two we got were bottle babies and they are just as happy as cat or puppy sitting in your lap getting love. They are about 7 months old. We don't intend to breed them until they are a year old. But to do that we have to find a male we like. He will also have to be a bottle baby and affectionate. And he will have to be a color we all agree on. We are not interested in showing, just having healthy goats for pets and milk so I am not paying extra for one being registered. So there. That sums up my goat life up to now. There may be a quiz later. :D

Ok, so I just found this thread and I will pretend I read all 900+ posts.  We have 2 Nigerian Dwarf girls, GiGi and Daisy.  The wife decided that from what she read, they will produce some of the sweetest milk.  I'm personally not a fan of goat milk but then again I don't drink cow milk either.  To me, milk is for cereal and baking.  So she got them for milk, I just like them as pets.  The two we got were bottle babies and they are just as happy as cat or puppy sitting in your lap getting love.   They are about 7 months old.  We don't intend to breed them until they are a year old.  But to do that we have to find a male we like.  He will also have to be a bottle baby and affectionate.  And he will have to be a color we all agree on.  We are not interested in showing, just having healthy goats for pets and milk so I am not paying extra for one being registered.   So there.  That sums up my goat life up to now.  There may be a quiz later.  :D

None of my Nigerian Dwarfs are bottle babies but they are super friendly and love to sit in my lap. If I do not pet them they nudge me or lick me to let me know they need attention. I think a lot of being friendly is how much time you spend with them. I recently purchased a Lamancha doe with two week old twins and they were very unsure of people but it has been two weeks and they are just like all my other goats now, very friendly. I am kind of like you on the milk but I can say I very much prefer it over cows milk and it does not make me sick like cows milk.

I found the buck I would like to have had in a craigs list ad. The place was close to me and the buck was this awesome color. 3 shades of gray. Very nice looking goat. But the people never responded when I left a message so I just assumed it was gone and they were tired of the continued messages. Oh well. More will come along. And since it'll be several more months before the girls have reached our target breeding age, I have time to be picky.

I need help with knowing what type of goat i may have, im trying to sell them but i have no clue what breed they may be. I love them to death but i am moving and am not able to take care of them.
[/IMG]

Does anybody knw why my goat doesn't look pregnant anymore she didn't have her kids she has a full milk bag it in her stomach she doesn't look big anymore can show pic if needed

Back
Top Bottom