Lets talk about goats!

Pics
To add to the scary goats. Our two pygmies are slowly letting us come close. Our girl annie has even let us pet and pick her up. Sweet feed is a wonderful thing. Our boy dave is not so sure of us but he does come closer. We have low seats and take time every day to sit and let it happen. Good luck.

Holy moly. We had this feed just as a teaser. The farm we got the goats from had medicated-YUCK, feed. I did see the normal pellet food at tractor supply. I would like to feed them organic pellets like our chickens eat. I do think that the simple breeder we got them from is not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. The goats were not free range. Our little babys-born april- are not used to grass so much, that their bellies are not as plump as they were 2 weeks ago. Ugh I guess it's time to worm.

I have heard sweet feed isn't good for goats does anybody knw for sure I have herd of it killing male goats wit kidney stones

To be blunt will likely get answers from both sides claiming to be correct, but...

IMO it all depends upon their primary diet and if they are accustomed to the higher protein levels found in grains it's not as black and white or yes/no answer that many claim...

For example if you only feed your goats high grass content hay and then all the sudden give them lots of sweet feed, bad things can happen aka bloat... On the flip side if you are only giving sweet feed in moderation as treats you should be AOK even for primarily grass fed goats... Introduction of small amounts of sweet feed is also helpful in this instance to put on fat for winter warmth for grass fed goats... I supliment my goats hay with sweet feed during the winter months...

On the other side of the fence consider goats at a petting zoo, they eat tons of sweet feed with no ill effects because it's their primary diet and they are used to it... Yeah many are plump, but that is because they get fed to much...

In the middle you have goats that get more variety in their hay or grazing and they are used to moderate levels of protein and thus they can handle it better then a grass fed goat but not as well a grain fed goat...

Last edited:

Goats waste a lot of hay at our place, that was until we made hay racks. We also made a feeder by using a length of galvanised guttering. Blocked the ends up and hung it on the fence. We only feed a 12% protein pellet when we don't have time to make up their regular feed. Which goes as follows.
1x part lucerne chaff
1 x part oaten chaff
1 x part bran
1/2 x part whole barley( soaked with 1cup of acv added )
A teaspoon of dolomite per head
I add hot water to the mix and always have seaweed meal on free take in the shed.

Back
Top Bottom