Lets talk about goats!

Sounds like formula isn't very good . . . I guess I'll just get cow's milk . . . we buy raw cows milk from a local farmer . . . would that be OK for the goat??

Would adding a little heavy cream to cows milk help.

I am curious. I am thinking about bottle feeding some goats to make them more friendly to people.

Of course they would get the first drinks from momma.

I am curious. I am thinking about bottle feeding some goats to make them more friendly to people.

Some people add stuff. But it is unnecessary. More opportunity to mess up something that works and make kids ill.

If you think dam raising will make unfriendly kids, then the kids are being dam raised incorrectly. Handled and cuddled daily, dam raised kids are just as friendly as bottle feeding. Plus, when they're on their mother, you don't have to bother with measuring and warming milk X times a day. Just make sure they're growing and gaining weight with their mother, and they'll be fine.

If you think dam raising will make unfriendly kids, then the kids are being dam raised incorrectly. Handled and cuddled daily, dam raised kids are just as friendly as bottle feeding. Plus, when they're on their mother, you don't have to bother with measuring and warming milk X times a day. Just make sure they're growing and gaining weight with their mother, and they'll be fine.

X2 I have dam raised kids that were handled a lot even though mom wasn't very friendly and they are super friendly. I had a judge ask me if they were bottle babies because as I was showing them they kept jumping all over me!

They'd have to be bottle fed every 3 hours for the first few weeks until they start eating hay and then a little less but no matter the time of day you have to feed them.Just letting you know I honestly want to bottle-feed because I'd enjoy it but if your doing it because your afraid they won't be sweet their not getting enough attention is all if played with and held and cuddled a few times a day they'll be people friendly long as that is their temperament some animals are just naturally shy and it's just their personality and you can't help that.

I have raised about 25 baby goats on powdered formula. Including a very premie goat this year. I've found that mixing a extra oz of water in over recommended is much better then too concentrated . Yes babies can bloat on formula if not mixed right and too rich. I use a regular baby bottle and feed 2-3 oz every 2 hrs the first week slowing upping the amounts and time between bottles untill they are drinking a full bottle 4 times a day (for boer/dairy crosses) ive had very good results with this method. I've also found that keeping some baking soda and gas x around to be a lifesaver if they do bloat around the time they start eating hay/grain. Bottle feeding a baby can be very time intensive and you have to be home a lot to keep a eye on them. Also I try to make sure to always have at least 2 of similar ages gives them someone to compete with as well as play.

I do agree with littlekatzz that goats raised on properly handled formula do well. Also they do take a lot of time commitment!

Some people add stuff. But it is unnecessary. More opportunity to mess up something that works and make kids ill.

I am going to let momma raise any babies because I have learned that nature does things best...besides, we have a large garden, 35 chickens, catfish in above ground ponds, 9 baby Ring neck pheasant and I really want some Golden Pheasant.

I might be stretching it a little thin...I also have a full time job. I work daylight till dark now.

Oh yea....pigs...just 2 for now....hope the gilt is expecting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom