Lets talk about goats!

Does anybody have a mini donkey that they keep with the goat? I'm thinking of getting a one year old mini donkey female from a friend she friendly but never been around goats before only other donkeys. I have a pen connected to my goat pen where I keep my males I can move my males n let my females get use of her before putting her in with them n if it doesn't work we have a cow pasture that could work n I'll just buy another mini donkey

Our mini donkeys and mini horses do fine with our goats.... Except the new babies that are "strangers" to them so the donkeys attack them. They are there as livestock guardians but we won't be able to put the babies out until they are bigger.

K thanks I have my lol ones separate from my adults so that won't be a problem

Does anyone show their goats? I am probably going to, and I need some tips.

Awesome! I've been showing goats for over 2 years now. I show NPGA pygmy goats and fe in love with it! So in showmanship which is the knowledge of your animal and goat knowledge. So know your goat parts (there is a good goat part chart if you google "goat part chart" it's on a 4h website like gueaga county 4h or something like that) also these arête main things you want to do in the show ring
Make sure your animal is very very clean meaning hooves trimmed really well clean out their backside, hooves, ears, and nose with baby wipes.
Depending on what type of goat you have (dairy, pygmy, pack or meat) you might have to trim them up. Also I bathe my goats and make sure their coats have no under hair. I also use Argan oil or Argan based conditioning sprays (for African American people's hair you can find the bottles for like $5-$8 at Walmart or any other big box store) to make their coat shiny and soft
Always keep you eye on the judge (not creepily just know where they are the whole time)
Always keep the goat between you and the judge (a goat sandwich as we like to call it) I'd watch some videos on it also
Go into the ring clockwise unless told otherwise
Smile Smile Smile (you may feel stupid but keep smiling the whole time)
Be fluid and graceful in your movements
Be confident when you are asked questions and pronounce clearly and directly. Sometimes the judge will ask you to "tell" him or "show" him a part on the goat listen for the difference.
Have a goat that is easy to handle and set up easily (sometimes that isn't an option but keep working with your animal)
Don't show your frustration if your goat isn't cooperating be calm and have a good attitude the whole time
Always shake the judges hand once your done an thank him/her
Hope this helps and good luck! If you have any more questions let me know!

What kind of goats and in open shows or will it be 4-h type shows?

thanks for the tips 2chixintown. I will definitely use those when I do my first show. Billy is what we were told a miniature pygmy. It didn't take long to find out that that goat doesn't necessarily exist. So, we know for sure he is pygmy, but we don't know what kind.

We just finished de-horning a few days ago. Whew! I'm so glad we're done.
th.gif
That is one goat chore that is NOT fun.

We've had to add menu items that our goats, or at least Eddie, will eat. The paper strip at the top of feed bags and the styrofoam padding on a bicycle. The other goats really don't try to eat everything that sits still. But as soon as I park the tractor, the gator, the truck or the kids get off their bikes Eddie is finding some piece of it that he can eat. He is SUCH a pain in the butt. He's lucky I like him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom