Lets talk about goats!

Here's what he looks like... It's not really visible from the outside. The only reason i noticed it was because i was rubbing his neck while petting him :p

If it is not by the Lymph nodes it is NOT CL! If it is not milk neck or milk goiter. You will want to make sure you send it in for a biopsy and they will tell you exastly what it is. It is best send they actual lump in and not a blood test. Hope your goats vet visit goes good!
lacey-typicalclspots2-6.jpg

Make sure if the vet test for you, you get a copy of the results. Vets can sometimes tell you the wrong thing and then you slaughter the one(s) that have and then later you find out they didn't have it at all. Happened to some friends of ours, very sad. I am not saying don't trust your vet but mistakes to happen I really would hate to see someone go thru that.
Hope you have a good day!
TAH
Slaughtering a goat just because it is positive for CL is just plain silly. No matter what anyone tells you, including a vet, it is not all that hard to manage CL and to prevent other goats in the herd from getting infected. I have had a LOT of field experience with CL, but not by choice. When I first started breeding goats in the late 60's CL was so common it was hard to find a herd, including mine, that didn't have it. You would even find goats with boils at shows. I got rid of CL and the other breeders did too. And we did it without sending affected goats, with a few exceptions, to slaughter either. If anyone is interested on how to manage and eradicate CL, I would be glad to tell them.

Quote: I would be very intrested in hearing more about this!

Most people (at least the people I knew with goats say the only choice is slaughter) I am not sure about other places but when our doe had a lump and we sent it in we were told the only choice was to slaughter, the vet also said that. My doe didn't end up with CL.

What is Biosecure

It's when you keep a closed facility (so don't let visitors either on the property at all or just not in the animal areas) and wear the same pair of shoes (and in some cases set of clothes) in the pens every time. You don't wear the shoes anywhere else like in public etc because you can pick up germs and diseases from the wild animals/birds, different soils, etc. It's to protect your animals.

OK need y'all advice. How often do you feed bottle babies and how much and at what age do you feed what and how much. I am at two weeks feeding every four hour expect at night I feeda bed time at nine and again at one and not again till seven or six am.

Three times a day is sufficient enough. It will depend so how much to they weigh and what breed are they? 3-cups each feeding but I only fed them twice a day.

Around five-eight pounds I haven't weighed them. However I know they are growing well they already getting taller. I was first feed only four times a day at 16 oz but that cause diarrhea so I was told to go to 4-6oz every 4-6hrs. They are Nubians. Full size. One is two weeks four days old the other is two weeks two days old.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what the question is? If they are doing well with the current schedule then I'd stick with that :)

Although I think there's an age where the amounts increase?

I would be very intrested in hearing more about this!

Most people (at least the people I knew with goats say the only choice is slaughter) I am not sure about other places but when our doe had a lump and we sent it in we were told the only choice was to slaughter, the vet also said that. My doe didn't end up with CL.
That is what they tell you and it is wrong. I may not have a string of degrees after my name but I have had a lot of field experience with CL. If I would have followed that advice, I would have ended up with no goats. So would a lot of other breeders in my area. I am not talking about just a few animals here either. I am talking about literally hundreds of animals. When I started my CL eradication, I had a commercial dairy and I was milking over a hundred does. There were herds near me that had a lot more animals than I did. I got rid of CL and so did they and we did it without sending the affected goats to slaughter. The exception was animals that would get abscess after abscess and does that got abscesses inside as opposed to on the outside of the udder. Getting rid of CL doesn't happen overnight and you have to be committed. But if you follow a few simple rules, it isn't that hard either. I would much rather deal with CL than either CAE or Johnes. In the 40 years I had goats at one time or another I dealt with those diseases too, and yes, I was able to eradicate them from my herd also.

Back
Top Bottom