Lets talk about goats!

My alerts weren't working for some reason until this morning and come to find I missed so much. Glad to hear things are going well for everyone. I've had my girls for a few months now and I am thoroughly enjoying having them. I'm really glad I decided to start with an experience milker so it wasn't all new to her too. I'm not getting as much milk as expected but it's enough for now. Tried a few cheese recipes that turned out well but I also discovered cajeta. Oh man is that good stuff. :drool Anyone have a favorite recipe?

I'm waiting for baby and new goat pictures (hint hint ;)). Meanwhile here's one of Sugar and Cookie.
IMG_2437.JPG

So guys I am now interested in making soap with goat milk so I have a few questions and some related:
I am getting my goats checked for all the common diseases and fecals done, is there anything else healthwise I should be concerned about?
Is there anything legal I should worry about selling soap to the public or my family and close friends consuming raw milk?
Should I pasteurize the milk?
What are some recipes for soap?

When should I band, disbud and wean the two buckling's?
thanks yall

I've never made soap but I'm pretty sure since it isn't consumed there are no issues selling it. Lots of folks around here sell it at farmer's markets and the like. However, in the state of Colorado it is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption. It can be sold for pet consumption though. If you want to sell raw milk to the public for people to drink, you have to sell farm shares, so they "own" part of the herd and get milk. I'd look at your state laws if you want to sell raw milk.

In many states it is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption. As for soap, the food laws should not apply. Soap is not food. As for when to band/disbud your bucklings, sooner is better. I used to do mine when they were three days old or so. I weaned my kids between eight and ten weeks of age.

For home use, pasteurization of milk isn't necessary. Some people choose to pasteurize milk, some people don't. It is a matter of personal preference. Milk will hold better and maintain good flavor longer if it is pasteurized. The enzyme lipase which can cause a goaty flavor in milk after a few days, is neutralized by pasteurization.

In many states it is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption. As for soap, the food laws should not apply. Soap is not food. As for when to band/disbud your bucklings, sooner is better. I used to do mine when they were three days old or so. I weaned my kids between eight and ten weeks of age.
So you didn't find that to cause them problems as they got older? It would certainly make things easier as you don't have to worry about them being with the does and doelings. But I've read a lot of sites/books that say to do it between 8 and 12 weeks. The reason being they are less likely to develop kidney stones.

Has no idea on her age. The other goat was anemic and thats why she died? Her feet are messed up so any advice would be appreciated. And any other thoughts you have on her. Thanks!
Oh and breed she didnt know that either.
20170928_172257.jpg
20170928_172400.jpg
20170928_172313.jpg
20170928_172304.jpg
20170928_172347.jpg
20170928_172351.jpg

Most of
So you didn't find that to cause them problems as they got older? It would certainly make things easier as you don't have to worry about them being with the does and doelings. But I've read a lot of sites/books that say to do it between 8 and 12 weeks. The reason being they are less likely to develop kidney stones.

My buck kids went for meat by the time they were three or four months old, so stones were not an issue. I got so I refused to sell buck kids as pets because so many pet goats have terrible lives. That said, I only had one buck that ever got stones and the automatic waterer in his pen malfunctioned. It was some time before the problem was noticed and I think his stones were due to the fact he was without water for an extended period of time. I am no expert on stones in wethers because I never had any wethers that were more than just a few months of age.

Back
Top Bottom