Let's talk about Mareks... Looking for people who deal with in their flock

Pics

AudieWarren

Songster
May 17, 2018
Free ranging in Ga
There is so much information floating about concerning Mareks. I'm pretty sure my flock might have it.... Thanks local auction for having the breed I was looking.... Anyway I am thinking the kind I am seeing is either visceral or.... That which effects the skin... (having a brain fart and can't remember the name of it) I have culled a few hens at this point. Tomorrow morning I plan to do a few more. If they aren't healthy AND producing eggs, I don't have use for them. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the truth of it. I have livestock not pets. I love them and want the best, but I am not going to babysit sick birds. I have a hen with one cat eye. She doesn't lay anymore, but acts fine. She survived a major injury to her thigh too. She's one tough cookie. I have a runty rooster.. A have a pullet with a eye that is at half mast. She has a sister and they are both runty. The 2 I've culled had scabby skin on thier backs and were looking emaciated . Culling was the most humane thing to do. I guess I'm asking what's your opinion? Any feedback is welcome.

I have Mareks in my flock. I get an occasional young one that shows symptoms, mostly uncoordinated walking. We cull as necessary. I have never had an adult bird exhibit symptoms. If you are seeing multiple birds with problems getting the deceased bird tested is important so you know what you are truly dealing with. Many flocks carry Mareks. Most birds build immunity to it.

In general Mareks doesn't cause respiratory problems, or thin birds that are laying. I would be testing a bird.

@rebrascora is great with Mareks! Hopefully she’ll come and give you some advice! Can you get some Virkon S cleaner? You add it to water and you disinfect your coop with it. Again, @rebrascora can talk about it more with you.
So can @KikisGirls @Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick @casportpony @Eggcessive they helped me through my (possible, still not sure that it is) Mareks struggle and can give you some great opinions and advice. Are you able to send one of the birds you have for a necropsy, just to investigate further?

Okay, so as far a necropsy goes, I have no idea where to start, but I'm not against it . My hen with the cat eye didn't show signs until after her injury and it was only her eye effected. One of the culls was supposed to be a layer, but she never laid a single egg in the 6 months I had her. The rest are young from this spring/summer. It's only been a small fraction of my flock, but it's enough to raise an eyebrow

Okay, so as far a necropsy goes, I have no idea where to start, but I'm not against it . My hen with the cat eye didn't show signs until after her injury and it was only her eye effected. One of the culls was supposed to be a layer, but she never laid a single egg in the 6 months I had her. The rest are young from this spring/summer. It's only been a small fraction of my flock, but it's enough to raise an eyebrow
For starters...your state lab and prices are listed here:

Back
Top Bottom