Let's talk about Mareks... Looking for people who deal with in their flock

Pics

AudieWarren

Songster
May 17, 2018
Free ranging in Ga
There is so much information floating about concerning Mareks. I'm pretty sure my flock might have it.... Thanks local auction for having the breed I was looking.... Anyway I am thinking the kind I am seeing is either visceral or.... That which effects the skin... (having a brain fart and can't remember the name of it) I have culled a few hens at this point. Tomorrow morning I plan to do a few more. If they aren't healthy AND producing eggs, I don't have use for them. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the truth of it. I have livestock not pets. I love them and want the best, but I am not going to babysit sick birds. I have a hen with one cat eye. She doesn't lay anymore, but acts fine. She survived a major injury to her thigh too. She's one tough cookie. I have a runty rooster.. A have a pullet with a eye that is at half mast. She has a sister and they are both runty. The 2 I've culled had scabby skin on thier backs and were looking emaciated . Culling was the most humane thing to do. I guess I'm asking what's your opinion? Any feedback is welcome.

Marek's has been a much smaller "fish in our pond" than I was warned it would be. After all of the dire predictions and warnings after our first outbreak, we have not seen it. Don't get me wrong - I know it lies dormant, sometimes for years. I also still run a pretty tight ship as far as nutrition, cleanliness/antimicrobial use, and stress reduction. But, we had a very stressful summer (major wildfire, evacuations, and more) and they sailed through very well. I really do believe Marek's to be part of every poultry environment, just not in outbreak form.

I have Mareks in my flock. I get an occasional young one that shows symptoms, mostly uncoordinated walking. We cull as necessary. I have never had an adult bird exhibit symptoms. If you are seeing multiple birds with problems getting the deceased bird tested is important so you know what you are truly dealing with. Many flocks carry Mareks. Most birds build immunity to it.

In general Mareks doesn't cause respiratory problems, or thin birds that are laying. I would be testing a bird.

@rebrascora is great with Mareks! Hopefully she’ll come and give you some advice! Can you get some Virkon S cleaner? You add it to water and you disinfect your coop with it. Again, @rebrascora can talk about it more with you.
So can @KikisGirls @Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick @casportpony @Eggcessive they helped me through my (possible, still not sure that it is) Mareks struggle and can give you some great opinions and advice. Are you able to send one of the birds you have for a necropsy, just to investigate further?

Okay, so as far a necropsy goes, I have no idea where to start, but I'm not against it . My hen with the cat eye didn't show signs until after her injury and it was only her eye effected. One of the culls was supposed to be a layer, but she never laid a single egg in the 6 months I had her. The rest are young from this spring/summer. It's only been a small fraction of my flock, but it's enough to raise an eyebrow
For starters...your state lab and prices are listed here:

There is so much information floating about concerning Mareks. I'm pretty sure my flock might have it.... Thanks local auction for having the breed I was looking.... Anyway I am thinking the kind I am seeing is either visceral or.... That which effects the skin... (having a brain fart and can't remember the name of it) I have culled a few hens at this point. Tomorrow morning I plan to do a few more. If they aren't healthy AND producing eggs, I don't have use for them. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the truth of it. I have livestock not pets. I love them and want the best, but I am not going to babysit sick birds. I have a hen with one cat eye. She doesn't lay anymore, but acts fine. She survived a major injury to her thigh too. She's one tough cookie. I have a runty rooster.. A have a pullet with a eye that is at half mast. She has a sister and they are both runty. The 2 I've culled had scabby skin on thier backs and were looking emaciated . Culling was the most humane thing to do. I guess I'm asking what's your opinion? Any feedback is welcome.
Getting the testing performed will give you the best answers.

There should be no apology for culling birds that are not productive, your goal is egg production. Culling is also used to help control disease.

Marek's is a complicated disease and symptoms can be very confusing, so getting testing and confirmation is a good idea.

You mention scabby skin? Is it like lesions or Ulcers? Skin lesions/form in Marek's would be "Cutaneous Form". That would be typical of white bumps on the skin with crusty brown scabs and enlarged inflamed looking feather follicles
"Visceral Form" is tumors on internal organs - heart, live, ovaries, lungs and sometimes brain (this would go hand in hand with the neurological symptoms sometimes seen in Marek's)

Warning/ the following link does show sick birds and necropsy photos:
See the Cornell link for photos of Marek's in chickens-be sure to look at the "gross lesions" as well as the clinical signs tab.
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502#/disease/Marek's_Disease

One of the very best articles on Marek's.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I do not have first hand experience with Marek's. Hopefully @rebrascora @Nambroth and @orrpeople will chime in.

Okay, so as far a necropsy goes, I have no idea where to start, but I'm not against it . My hen with the cat eye didn't show signs until after her injury and it was only her eye effected. One of the culls was supposed to be a layer, but she never laid a single egg in the 6 months I had her. The rest are young from this spring/summer. It's only been a small fraction of my flock, but it's enough to raise an eyebrow

Hey yall!! So today I had a pullet die. She wasn't laying yet, but I know it would have been soon. I went to the fill feeders and waterers at 7am. Everything was fine. I went out there around lunch and she was layed out unable to walk. I picked her up without a fuss(very unusual bc they don't like being handled.) and removed her from the flock. I had to make her drink. I went to check on her periodically throughout the day. When my husband came home around 4:30pm she was dead. This was sudden. I'm taking her in the morning to get a necropsy. Just wanted to touch base and let yall know what is going on.
I'm sorry for your loss:hugs

Please let us know what you find out when you get the report.

Back
Top Bottom