Lets talk about our current broodies :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Born Feb,7th last year. She tried to go broody at like 7 months and went missing for 3 days.She had a hidden nest in the yard with 11 eggs. I wasnt ready for babes, so I took them away. I felt so guilty I let her have 3 eggs even though its winter. I have 2 heat lamps in their area.

I have a black Jersey Giant hen that decided to go broody on New Years Eve. I am soooo excited! She is sitting on 13 eggs. I had to mark them because she keeps letting other hens into her box to lay their eggs. She is such a brat, she pecks me every time I check for new eggs, but it doesnt really hurt, so I just try to make it quick and leave her alone.

I dont even know for sure how many are hers or whose are whose, but it will be sooo great to get a head start on spring chicks! I'm really happy and cant wait to see what she hatches out. This is her first time, so we'll see what happens.

CONGRATS to all of you who have new broodies!! YAY!
thumbsup.gif

I have a broody due this weekend her first hatch 8 eggs were good when I looked at them right before Christmas I had to mark her eggs too one hen always goes in there and lays right next to her......they are going to be unhappy when I put panels around her when they start to hatch.....I didn't want to move her really I thought she wouldn't make it you never know

I love having broody hens!!!! I have more than half of my hens go broody in spring and most of them are succesfull!
jumpy.gif
One time I had a buff orpington hen who hatched out 24 chicks
yippiechickie.gif
she was so busy never got time alone the sad thing is that she lost 8 of her chicks to some cats but the other 16 lived on happy and healthy
D.gif
but she recentley died
hit.gif
We miss her terribly but 6 of her daughters are our best broodies: weee Right now we have one leghorn hen setting she only has one small RIR egg that only has 3 more days to go!!!!!!!!
ya.gif
I hope it hatches as a boy we need more roosters our current one is old
hu.gif
Hope your hen hatches her chicks!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Well, I don't have a broody yet... But I'm letting eggs accumulate in their favorite nest, so wish me luck! And Chikoman13, that's not something you hear everyday... lol I would gladly give you all my roosters this spring/summer. (I always tend to have more roosters...)
roll.png

So glad I found this thread!! I have a silkie that went broody a few days ago, I am hoping to get some fertile eggs under her within the next day or two. Here is a pic of her sitting on one of her unfertile eggs:

15224_day_four_2.jpg

She wont sit in one of the nest boxes. She just made a little nest in the corner of the coop and camped out there. Today after she grabbed a bite to eat she cooed all of my other girls over as if she was showing off her egg. Then she rolled it under her and continued on her journey to be a mommy. SO CUTE!

I am currently living at home while I attend college, so its been really neat for my parents to see what I am interested in and what I want to do for a career. (Poultry science)
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom