Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by geebs, Apr 30, 2011.

1. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    On another note, I finally have a double dose barred gold cuckoo in my latest hatch!!

HenThymes - What is a "double dose barred gold cuckoo?" Thanks -​

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:That is definitely partridge. Crazy!

3. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC

Does anyone breed partridge, I have never heard anyone talk about them?? [​IMG] How did I end up with that?? Then that is what I have several more of in the brooder right now too! [​IMG]

4. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:HenThymes - What is a "double dose barred gold cuckoo?" Thanks -

When you see a dark bodied gold cuckoo male he would be a single does of barred. When you see the lighter/whiter colored gold cuckoo male he would be carrying a double dose of barring.

My original cockerel was a single dose
    [​IMG]

5. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:HenThymes - What is a "double dose barred gold cuckoo?" Thanks -

When you see a dark bodied gold cuckoo male he would be a single does of barred. When you see the lighter/whiter colored gold cuckoo male he would be carrying a double dose of barring.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49849_dsc05836.jpg

Are those yellow legs? The reason I ask is because I have a hen that was supposed to be a cuckoo marans but she has a little golden cuckoo and yellow legs....I'm wondering if she is the same variety of your rooster(he's very pretty)

-Litte Creek Farm

6. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:When you see a dark bodied gold cuckoo male he would be a single does of barred. When you see the lighter/whiter colored gold cuckoo male he would be carrying a double dose of barring.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49849_dsc05836.jpg

Are those yellow legs? The reason I ask is because I have a hen that was supposed to be a cuckoo marans but she has a little golden cuckoo and yellow legs....I'm wondering if she is the same variety of your rooster(he's very pretty)

-Litte Creek Farm

Nope, none of mine have yellow legs, all white. However I do know that with gold's still much a project that yellow legs are not uncommon to pop up from time to time but should be culled out of future breeding.

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

Does anyone breed partridge, I have never heard anyone talk about them?? [​IMG] How did I end up with that?? Then that is what I have several more of in the brooder right now too! [​IMG]

I don't think anybody has partridge. Have you had any sign of Penedesenca show up? Or maybe its just a product of having the wheaten roo in the mix? I tend to run with opportunities like that- can't help myself!

8. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    I know that each bird/line developes different but in general around many weeks old should one be able to tell if the chick is boy or girl based on comb developement? I have the 2 chicks from my Blue Marans x Blue Cuckoo Marans test and at almost 6 weeks the blue one I'm not sure on yet.

I will post a picture in a bit of the 2 chicks.

9. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Does anyone breed partridge, I have never heard anyone talk about them?? [​IMG] How did I end up with that?? Then that is what I have several more of in the brooder right now too! [​IMG]

I don't think anybody has partridge. Have you had any sign of Penedesenca show up? Or maybe its just a product of having the wheaten roo in the mix? I tend to run with opportunities like that- can't help myself!

No sign of pene, I think it may be because of the wheaten in the mix?

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I don't think anybody has partridge. Have you had any sign of Penedesenca show up? Or maybe its just a product of having the wheaten roo in the mix? I tend to run with opportunities like that- can't help myself!

No sign of pene, I think it may be because of the wheaten in the mix?

It has to be from the wheaten. I wonder if you had a boy from the same batch that looked like a welsummer, because the girl is perfectly patterened like one.

Hens and Roos- most of the time you can tell by 6 weeks. If they aren't obvious boy, then I usually assume they are girls at that point. Mine get big combs sooo early. They're adoreable at that age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by