Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by geebs, Apr 30, 2011.

1. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:Lotsa: I am very partial to the golden cuckoos as well. I like barred birds in general. I am just getting started with the birchens but they sure do need a lot of work. I guess that's half the fun of it lol. It would be fun to make some blue-golden cuckoos...what would that be called (blue x golden cuckoo)?

2. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    Yes I do want to keep the "Dual Purpose" in all my Marans. No I have not weighed him but I'd say at least 11# he really is huge I only have 1 bird bigger my Blue Copper Boy but he only has a little on this one.
    Here s a younger pic of him
    [​IMG]

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:Lotsa: I am very partial to the golden cuckoos as well. I like barred birds in general. I am just getting started with the birchens but they sure do need a lot of work. I guess that's half the fun of it lol. It would be fun to make some blue-golden cuckoos...what would that be called (blue x golden cuckoo)?

I don't know but if I get a Splash Birchen...well I'll try it.

My Birchens have good leg feathering and look good so far maybe a bit slow on the feathering but summer hatched birds here are like that and some look like the eyes will be dark but I can't tell for sure yet the eggs I hatched were nice not more than a 5 but good hatchability all I need is at least one hen that lays a darkie and I am on Bev's list for some that's exciting for sure

4. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Here are a couple of updated pictures of the 2 babies we hatched out, they are 4 weeks old now.

The Black chick:
    [​IMG]

The Blue chick:
    [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Hey Becky- wanted to show you the difference in the roos I got from your eggs. Most of them look like the bigger guy. Maybe they are carrying a birchen gene? They are showing pale gold, but it's hard to see in the pic. The other guy has no sign of birchen, and he is showing red, but no yellow or gold tones. I only got one of him, so he will stay for sure.
    The birchen looking one is clean legged, the other has light feathering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also- I finally took the plunge and bought some GC eggs from this quail farm in NC. They do have really nice egg color, and the birds look like they have lots of potential. I cannot figure out how to get to thier website though- want you all to see it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:Very nice pictures, how old are they? It is always interesting to see others projects!

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think I hatched them at the end of June. Can't believe I am 1/2 way through a second hatching notebook for this year already [​IMG]

8. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Hatched my next generation of gold cuckoo just a couple of days ago from some really nice dark eggs! Will be interesting to see how they color out. I set only the darkest eggs from the group. Found it still interesting that even though all stock was French yes clean legged still hatch. I do hope that changes down the line?

Two still in the bator and in the pic is two blue bantam orps
    [​IMG]

Egg color
    [​IMG]

9. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    On another note, my bantam marans are just getting to POL and one of the blacks have given me her first three eggs this week. The first was huge just like my gold cuckoo did and getting darker with each one laid. Very happy with the color overall given they are bantams and still a project within marans. [​IMG] She will be part of my bantam marans flock that will consist of a cuckoo cockere, cuckoo pullet and two black pullets. Will be interesting to start hatching this winter! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:What are the red/chipmunk chicks? You aren't selling GC eggs on ebay are you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by