Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NonnasBabies, May 17, 2011.

1. cynstaub

cynstaub In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Something I've noticed raising this latest batch of chicks....
    (I have 4 FGCM, 5 FBCM & 3 Olive eggers)
    My FGCM chicks are more friendly then my FBCM chicks or my OE's. By far.
    Only my 4 FGCM chicks follow me around the yard, come when I call and jump up on my lap.
    My other chicks are much more aloof.
    Anyone else had this experience?

2. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Songster

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California

I think you will be happy if you get it from Secret Hills Ranch. I originally contacted Missy of SHR because I wanted a Salmon Faverolles. Then, she talked me into a GCM, a breed I hadn't really considered, but the dark brown eggs certainly appealed to me. I LOVE my GCM, Amelie, and am so glad Missy suggested a GCM for me. She is so inquisitive, adventurous, smart and super sweet. She loves doing all the chickeny things, but also enjoys 1:1 attention and snuggles. She's about 6 weeks old right now.

She's the bottom bird in the last photo. (Also in photo: crested Swedish Flower Hen, Salmon Faverolles cockerel & pullet, Mille fleur Basque, Appenzeller Spitzhauben & lavender Ameraucana)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. estamets

estamets Songster

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    Agree! I LOVE my little GCM from Secret Hills. She's independent, friendly, and gorgeous.
    I only have a GCM so I can't speak to how different they are from BCM, but my GCM is really friendly! She's calm and easy to handle. She stands her ground with the others, and doesn't shy away from 1:1 human contact.
    I think a lot of this depends on the stock, too, so take a look at the personality of the parents.

4. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Songster

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California

I don't have BCM or OE to compare, but I think it's a mix of breed, stock, how they're raised, and individual personality. My BR has always been vocal and follows me everywhere, whereas my EEs are more aloof, but have followed me more after they started laying. As for 7 my babies, I would say my most human-outgoing ones are GCM, lav Ameraucana, and Spitzhauben. Those 3 definitely follow me around and seek attention. My SFH kind of does, but she's a little shy. My Faverolles cockerel is the chickenest chicken of all and runs away from me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Songster

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California

Yes she is!! And those feathered footsies!

6. buckabucka

buckabucka Crowing

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    My lone GCM does not stand out as more or less friendly than the others, but if she is broody, watch out! She will take a big hunk out of your hand and leave bruises!
    My new GCM rooster is petrified of me, but I kind of like that feature. I used to have a Basque rooster, and he was "curious" to the point of biting into my leg. My Ameraucanas are the most friendly, relaxed birds that I have.

7. chickee

chickee Songster

Ok, so I put the roosters back in with the hens a few days ago and the two GCM pullets are in love with my GCM rooster! This morning I saw one of them let the rooster mount her, so I am expecting eggs soon!!! [​IMG]

8. Kaylish

Kaylish Songster

Feb 24, 2014
    Chico, CA
    [​IMG] Yippee! I need to get on your egg list for springtime.

9. buckabucka

buckabucka Crowing

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    That's great news. I'm looking forward to seeing the eggs!
    I definitely would like to be on your list as well, assuming your ladies cooperate.

10. chickee

chickee Songster

Hopefully the ladies will pump out lots of eggs to go around [​IMG] They are great layers once they get started.

Here is a picture of one of the pullets I am waiting on to start laying.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by