Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Pics
I keep seeing people post and get excited be ause I think its someone posting a photo of a newly laid egg from a POL !!! Lol Im still waiting;(

Here's Geraldine at about 8 weeks old. She's a sweetie!
She is real pretty! I really like how nice and wide her head is! Looks like she is going to have good coloring too.
thumbsup.gif

She is real pretty! I really like how nice and wide her head is! Looks like she is going to have good coloring too.
thumbsup.gif
wee.gif
Thank you! I love her. She has really sweet eyes (is that weird to say about a chicken?) I can't wait to watch how she feathers out.

UrbanFarmOC has a pullet from the same breeder, and her coloration is more subtle (more soft brown, tan, whereas mine is high-contrast yellow, white and black), so it will be fascinating to watch them each get their adult plumage!

wee.gif
Thank you! I love her. She has really sweet eyes (is that weird to say about a chicken?) I can't wait to watch how she feathers out.

UrbanFarmOC has a pullet from the same breeder, and her coloration is more subtle (more soft brown, tan, whereas mine is high-contrast yellow, white and black), so it will be fascinating to watch them each get their adult plumage!
I know just what you mean about the sweet eyes!
big_smile.png
The GCMs are a work in progress, so their color still varies. It will be fun to see how they turn out. I have found that their color early on is a good indicator of what color they will be as an adult. One of my two pullets is much lighter, with a lot of gold than the one I posted a picture of. I don't care for her color as much, but she is big and has a nice chunky body that I like, so hopefully she will produce some darker offspring when bred to my rooster.

X2!
Especially when there is a cluster of posts, I always think, "the pullet egg photos are here!"

:pop

Case in point today!! 5 new posts and no egg photos!!! I did get a brown egg yesterday that Ive never seen but it better NOT be from my GCM hens!! Its was almost dark pink but not even close to chocolate.

Well here they are...Not thrilled with the lack of deep brown;( 2/3 of my girls laid for the first time yesterday!! Yes I already blew them out and made ornaments with them :p They are the front 2 surrounding a CCL egg

The one with a ribbon is from my splash marans for color reference...they are just OK...i was hoping for bigger , darker, and oraying for speckled! Those eggs were drying over night and I need to add ribbons and end caps and were done. Waiting to be sold at next weekends craft show!! I dont think the eggs are out of the chickens for 1 hour before they are cleaned and blown out!! Lol...I save all the actaul egg filling and make quiches...not an ounce of my eggs go to waste.

Well here they are...Not thrilled with the lack of deep brown;( 2/3 of my girls laid for the first time yesterday!! Yes I already blew them out and made ornaments with them :p They are the front 2 surrounding a CCL egg

Thanks for the photo and congratulations! I can't believe you've already decorated them!
The one on the left is nice, and the splash egg is gorgeous! I know Marans eggs usually get lighter over time, but isn't very first egg not always typical of what is to come? Maybe they will darken up some?
I had a couple Welsummers that lay beautiful speckled eggs like that, but I gave them away last year. They were getting older and I needed to make more room, but I really miss those eggs!

Back
Top Bottom