Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Barred Babies, May 17, 2011.

1. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congratulations on the new eggs! The color isn't bad for a GCM. They need work. I hatch the two pullets (I am still waiting on!!) from my darkest egg layer, so I am anxious to see what color they lay!! The rooster determines egg color, so if you can use a rooster out of the darkest eggs, you have a better chance of getting the color you want. And then there is the color staying power. My hen that lays the darkest eggs also keeps the color through her laying cycle. I am trying to build my flock up with her offspring in hopes that she passes that on.

2. SixHix

SixHix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Southern California
    There are multiple genes for egg color and they come from both parents, no just the roo

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thanks;) the girls are all in the boxes right now;) come on baby!!!

4. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

My understanding is that roosters and hens pass on egg colors, but that if the rooster does not have dark egg genes the child's eggs will usually be lighter than its mothers.[​IMG]

5. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I'll be setting up trap nests this weekend to see who's laying what. The pullets out of my GCM roo are just starting to lay, and I hope the darkest eggs come from the prettiest pullets :D I'm planning to set up breeding pens on Feb 1st.

6. chickee

That will be interesting to see the outcome! [​IMG] I am going to be doing some separating once my hens start laying again to see who lays which eggs.

7. Hollowoakfarm

Hollowoakfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Parkton, NC
    Hi! I was hunting for a different breed thread and noticed this one. I've overlooked it before. Nice to see lots of people in here! The GCMs have become my favorite of my birds. Lovely huge eggs, good tempered birds that forage well, and autosexing. Perfect combination!

:)

8. chickee

Welcome! Love to see pictures of your birds! [​IMG]

9. freddyyoung

freddyyoung Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    How do you make trap nests?

10. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Oh! Another cluster of posts with no pullet eggs! I'm looking forward to everyone's photos. :)

I'd like to learn about trap nests also. Not sure I'll ever need them, but I have no idea about them.

Perhaps after I have been breeding for a while it will be different, but I did not find my chicks to be autosexing at all. I think there is a photo early in the thread, -but my chicks were all different colors with a variety of head spot sizes and all were male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by