Lets Talk WINE!!!!!

When my "wine educated" sister comes in from out of town we've made it a point to do the winery thing. I've learned quite a bit about wine tasting and the wines themselves from our outings but it's mostly just for fun.
hmm.png

The headaches that one can get from wines are not really determined as to the cause but the Virginia wineries we visit, almost unanimously blame the tannins in wine. Tannin levels in red wine are much higher than white and if you do some research on tannins you would probably think to yourself that the Tannin answer is really a no brainer because of the chemical properties. Fortunately most red wines don't bother me where my sister can get the debilitating headache that some experience. For me, I think there's a link to be studied to see if something can come out of it for the migraine sufferer.
smile.png

As you progress through a wine tasting all the wines are subject to your approval/disapproval reinforced with the individual expertise everyone brings to a tasting...

Some common phrases seen in nature:
1) Bluaaach....what kind of idiot would drink that

2) Nope....don't like that

3) ehh....not bad

4) hmmm....that's ok

5) whoa....now that's good

6) Oh God yes....we're buying this stuff

This isn't the complete list and I'm sure as cultures progress so too the phrases.

This is why wine tasting should be done in groups because of the "different strokes for different folks" saying. My sister usually ends up buying an average of 2 bottles at every winery we hit..Well, never one and probably 50/50 on two or three so she buys 2.5 bottles per winery. I'll keep that extra half bottle for my services provided...Opening them.

All this being said...Your wine choices would probably change from visit to visit at the same winery. All wines are not created equal. Too many variants. Hence the wonderful ambiance that comes from discussion concerning them. But I can name my favorite wine.....du jour. HA! thought you we're going to get an answer:D Well you are, sort of. Yours...mine...my sisters...anyones favorite wine is............ the wine that makes you say "Dang!" when you see the last drop come out the mouth of the bottle. The last wine that made me do that was "Ranger Reserve" from Grey Ghost winery in Ammissville Virginia...this will probably change, but I know it's one I can count on for a wonderful dinner or one of "those" afternoons.

Quote:
Oh I am a duplin county wine fan too!!! LOVE the muscidine grape wines. A new Winery just opened up in Wake County (first one I think) called Adam's. Its on Hwy 42... they do the Muscadine wines too!!!

Going to buy a bottle long as they are under $10! I RARELY spend more then $10-$15 on wine. Our anniversary last year I did buy a $45 bottle... and my husband drank it and liked it... but he won't drink any other wine now. So now he just doesn't drink wine! LOL

We just went to the Duplin Winery a few weeks ago. Ended up coming home with a case of wine.
smile.png

Steve

Quote:
I agree, making homemade Wine is fun.... & Rewarding
smile.png
Sky's the limit for flavors & if it's not good, then it just won't get made again.
wink.png
I've heard Alot of raves for Dandelion Wine, but it has about a yr aging before it's drinkable. People say it's Wonderful. Anyone ever tired Dandelion Wine or made some?

My favorite is Kiwi/Strawberry Homemade Wine.
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree, making homemade Wine is fun.... & Rewarding
smile.png
Sky's the limit for flavors & if it's not good, then it just won't get made again.
wink.png
I've heard Alot of raves for Dandelion Wine, but it has about a yr aging before it's drinkable. People say it's Wonderful. Anyone ever tired Dandelion Wine or made some?

My favorite is Kiwi/Strawberry Homemade Wine.
droolin.gif

ditto on the homemade Strawberry wine!...whoa....might have to go as far to say the "infinite wisdom" folks that infest Wash D.C. would make it illegal....shhhhhh, we just won't tell them.

Father made some watermelon wine once, tasted like something strained through someones sock that was ate up with the fungi toe. Been 30 years since he made it and is referenced in my memory frequently.

Quote:
Oh I am a duplin county wine fan too!!! LOVE the muscidine grape wines. A new Winery just opened up in Wake County (first one I think) called Adam's. Its on Hwy 42... they do the Muscadine wines too!!!

Going to buy a bottle long as they are under $10! I RARELY spend more then $10-$15 on wine. Our anniversary last year I did buy a $45 bottle... and my husband drank it and liked it... but he won't drink any other wine now. So now he just doesn't drink wine! LOL

We just went to the Duplin Winery a few weeks ago. Ended up coming home with a case of wine.
smile.png

Steve

I am leaving the 26th for Wilmington and will be heading home on the 28th. I hope I can stop in there on a sunday. My husband is on his way home from Jacksonville right now... and forgot to call me when he left. He was going to stop and pick me up a bottle or two... or 3 on his way home.

Quote:
LOL.... your sister is not coming wine tasting with me!!! No headache complainers...we got to the beach when we're done drinking!!!!!! HAHAHA

Hello all, I like this topic. I have tried the Duplin wines, very good as I have grown to like the sweet wines, Muscadine my favorite. We really like the wines from Gatlinburg Winery, if anyone is in Pennsylvania try the Brookmere Winery, located in Belleville, P. their Frog Hollow and Niagra are great sweet wines.

I don't drink and wasn't a fan of wines anyways but my DH makes awesome blackberry wine. He has to make extras for everyone or they come over and drink all his up LOL He loves wine.

A note of caution about this thread. I started a wine thread last week & it was removed because of inappropriate comments about getting drunk. Let's not allow this thread to be closed.

I love wine.

love.gif
droolin.gif
lllloooooovvveeee
droolin.gif
love.gif

If you're in Western WA and want a good wine, go to Metropolitain Market and pick up their house wines called, appropriately, "Red", "White", and "Rose". I liked the red so much that DBF bought a case for me. $9/btl by the case or $10/btl individually The rose is also good. I'm not a chardonnay fan (unless it's the French style, which hasn't been run over by a logging truck & fermented in a butter churn like the American chards
sickbyc.gif
).

I prefer medium-bodied reds (lots of pinots from Oregon), med-dry whites, and dry roses. The BIG! DRY! reds are too much for me.

Drink what you like, I say!

I've introduced lots of friends to wine. When many people start drinking wine they go for the sweet white wines. People who want to develop their palate will start drinking wines that are a bit less sweet. Maybe instead of a riesling they'll go for a pinot grigio. Then for an unoaked chardonnay. Then maybe a sauvignon blanc or a dry rose. From there, maybe they'll venture into the reds with a pinot noir or a beaujoulais nouveau. Then one night they'll get a bit more adventurous and open some merlot or even a chianti. Finally, they'll go for the big guns: a cabernet sauvignon.
ya.gif

(Oh wow... I feel like that Friends episode: "SEVEN!! SEVEN!! SEVEN!!")

Try this webpage if you want to cheat on your regular wine and go for a different flavor profile: http://www.cellarnotes.net/your_next_wine.html

I am glad to see that other folks are drinking Duplin. I've been a little embarrased that it is may fav. I am not a expert on wine. What a relief!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom